The law and TRVs

sambotc said:
I don't understand why there's so much discussion about this. As ChrisR acutely observed, the CHeSS standards (CE51) are not law.
This was exactly the point i was trying to make in my previous post's, but the reason for the speculation was due to the wording in part L1 document i posted above which in my opinion could be regarded as recommendation or mandatory, depending on how the reader read's it?
Um, are you now saying that L1 is ambiguous? I didn't get that impression from your earlier post, viz:

sambotc said:
Right i've read all the link's and just got part L1 documnet up on the computer, and nowhere can i find anything which specifically request's TRV's in all rooms.
If there's nothing there to stipulate TRVs in all rooms, then there's nothing there. That isn't ambiguous at all.

Sponsored Links
As there seems to be confusion about the law, from a pratical point of view I still think TRV's are good thing and are a relatively inexpensive part of a heating system. They offer advantages in comfort and economy that outweigh their cost.

Would you buy a TV with just an on / off switch and no volume control? or a toaster that only had one setting?

So how about a straw poll of all you installers. If you were installing a system in your own home. Would you install TRV's?

The answer from the experts who have experience of doing this kind of thing everyday would give a good idea of the route to take.

stem said:
As there seems to be confusion about the law...
I'm not confused - are you?

...I still think TRV's are good thing and are a relatively inexpensive part of a heating system. They offer advantages in comfort and economy that outweigh their cost.
I agree, but that wasn't the original question.

Would you buy a TV with just an on / off switch and no volume control? or a toaster that only had one setting?
Manual rad valves aren't on/off switches. It seems that the law isn't the only thing you're confused about.

So how about a straw poll of all you installers. If you were installing a system in your own home. Would you install TRV's?
Upstairs I would, but only good quality ones.

The answer from the experts who have experience of doing this kind of thing everyday would give a good idea of the route to take.
Route?

This wasn't a question of navigation, but one of understanding the legal requirement(s).

Softus said:
Manual rad valves aren't on/off switches.

So you can control the temperature of a radiator with a manual valve can you? If you say yes I won't believe you.

It's either on or not.

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
I'm making myself sound really sad compared to you all pointing out these regs :oops:

Seems like you are to gas, what I am to water...

I'll be round for you at 5 - know any good pubs... :p

stem said:
Would you buy a toaster that only had one setting?

Bad analogy. My toaster has been used on "4" since the day I bought it, does the toast just the way I like it...

Only time it's been on a different setting has been when it is wiped over and I don't check it's back on 4 before I use it - usually leads to burnt toast or having to pop it down again. A toaster with only one setting would therfore be very good for me, provided it was the right setting...

stem said:
Softus said:
Manual rad valves aren't on/off switches.
So you can control the temperature of a radiator with a manual valve can you?
Anyone can - a valve can be closed, but can also be open to a varying degree. The less open it is, the lower the flow, and the lower the heat input to the radiator.

If you say yes I won't believe you.
Yes.

It's either on or not.
If you're happy believing that then so be it. :D

Fit trv`s everywhere, as well as wind turbines,solar panels and heat source pumps.Oh and air con as well.Should keep everyone happy.Bloody regs!!!

werewolf said:
Fit trv`s everywhere, as well as wind turbines,solar panels and heat source pumps.Oh and air con as well.Should keep everyone happy.b****y regs!!!

HERE HERE

Softus said:
stem said:
As there seems to be confusion about the law...
I'm not confused - are you?

...I still think TRV's are good thing and are a relatively inexpensive part of a heating system. They offer advantages in comfort and economy that outweigh their cost.
I agree, but that wasn't the original question.

Manual rad valves aren't on/off switches. It seems that the law isn't the only thing you're confused about.

Upstairs I would, but only good quality ones.

Route?

This wasn't a question of navigation, but one of understanding the legal requirement(s).

A programmable room stat in the room with no TRV must be adhered to.

Not required on every rad - upstairs (as Softus has explained).

Boiler interlock is what part L requires.

Drayton TRV 4's are the only ones I fit, as they are very reliable.

sambotc said:
This guide gives basic and Best Practice specifications for the components of domestic wet central heating systems that are critical to energy efficiency.
Basic means sufficient to comply with Building Regulations Part L1 Ref[1]
in England and Wales.

Above reads to me that basic chess is needed to comply with BR Part L1 :?: :confused:

Soggy_weetabix said:
A programmable room stat in the room with no TRV must be adhered to.

Boiler interlock is what part L requires.
I can't disagree with that!

Drayton TRV 4's are the only ones I fit, as they are very reliable.
This matches my experience and approach with unsurpassable precision.

gas4you said:
Basic means sufficient to comply with Building Regulations Part L1 Ref[1] in England and Wales.
Above reads to me that basic chess is needed to comply with BR Part L1 :?:
It hinges on the words "sufficient to comply". It doesn't mean that this is the only way of complying, or even that it represents the minimum necessary to comply - it's just a way of complying.

There are other ways too.

If only they would teach in schools, about Necessary and Sufficient.
One does not imply the other!

I think I'll just remain blissfully confused and carry on as I am :LOL:

gas4you said:
I think I'll just remain blissfully confused and carry on as I am :LOL:

hold up AInt U the one with all the answers for the regulations

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back