The most expensive council in the country?

P

Paul_C

Could this be the highest minimum fee for notified electrical work to building control in the country?

North Somerset council appears to demand a fee of £408.52 including VAT for any electrical work, no matter how small! :eek:

Click on the link for the PDF of the building application fees:
http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Environment/buildingcontrol/buildingregulations/feesandcharges.htm#

If the bureaucrats in North Somerset council think that the average person is going to pay that extortionate amount just to do a little work on his own house they must be completely out of their minds.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure they are deeply concerned about what people might think....

I guess you could always try asking them to justify that charge, some sort of FOI request, complaints to the District Auditor etc.

Why aren't the charges set nationally?

The councils up here charge on a sliding scale starting from around £100, if it is a disabled adaptation thhey may be exempt from a fee

The councils up here charge on a sliding scale starting from around £100, if it is a disabled adaptation thhey may be exempt from a fee

Sponsored Links

AFAIK there is nothing to prevent any council from dealing with any Building Regulations approval request from anywhere in the country.

As long as you reached a mutually satisfactory agreement on charges and expenses then, (again AFAIK), there is absolutely nothing forbidding the BCOs in Penzance from dealing with work in Berwick-upon-Tweed. They are obliged to make cost recovery complete, i.e. there is not supposed to be any burden on the local Council Tax payers, and unlike planning issues, where local factors apply, the Building Regulations are identical over the entire country.

If you can find a council who do their electrical approvals on the basis of inspections by registered electricians then they can do that for anywhere in the country.

I wouldn't register s**t, how would they know?
Don't know how it works up your way, but down here although the councils would never know (and if they did they wouldn't care) the biggest risks are

1) Lack of Building Regulations certificates causing problems when you come to sell.

2) Breach of leasehold/co-ownership agreements.

3) Invalidation of buildings/contents insurance.

why should I?!
Mainly to avoid (2) & (3) if relevant, but also, if you're doing the work for reward, because it's the law.

Like i said how would they ever possibly know? it may of been like that for years. infact id just say "i never did that it must of been the people i bought the house off 10 years ago"......

The way this country just bows is pathetic to be honest

Harmonised colours were in in before Part P became law.
They were not compulsory (to the regs) as soon as part P was law.

So either colour could be prior or after Part P , it proves nowt.

(Actualy I might be slighty wrong - but yer get the gist)

I shouldn't say that 'cos I am registered in a scheme purely to comply with my legal requirements at less than the cost ofnotifying thru LABC myself. I have no objection to that providing that I am on a level playing field ie everybody else is made to follow a legal route

Harmonised colours were in in before Part P became law.

It's amazing how much repair and maintenance work was done in 2004! That's if anyone ever knows anything about it and even asks in the first place.

Like i said how would they ever possibly know? it may of been like that for years. infact id just say "i never did that it must of been the people i bought the house off 10 years ago"......
Oh - so you'd lie, thus making a transaction worth hundreds of thousands of pounds fraudulent?

Way to go.

The way this country just bows is pathetic to be honest
Please don't try to make out that you're some kind of freedom fighter if you contravene the Building Regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back