The myth that the prime minister and this government is ‘libertarian’

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://davidallengreen.com/2021/07...-minister-and-this-government-is-libertarian/

The myth of the libertarianism of Boris Johnson, the prime minister of the United Kingdom, endures.

But it is a myth.

By ‘myth’ I mean that it is a thing that has narrative force, and which some people believe to be true, but it is a thing that is ultimately false.

Johnson is, of course, a political libertine, in that he believes rules – and indeed laws – are for other people.

His government attacks the independent judiciary, the impartial civil service and diplomatic corps and the public service broadcaster, as well as disregarding the speaker of the house of commons, the electoral commission, the ministerial adviser on the civil service code, the panel on appointments to the house of lords, and so on.

And so on.

If his government can get away with weakening or eliminating a check or balance, it shall do so.

It will not be told by anyone what to do.

The politics of Kevin the Teenager.

And this defiance is no doubt the basis of the decision of the government to relax the lockdown, despite various warnings.

Members of the government, and their political supporters, are fed up with being told what to do – especially as the impositions are for the benefit of others.

But.

Is this restless defiance ‘libertarianism’?

Is there a coherent vision of limiting the power of the state vis-a-vis the individual?

This is a government which is seeking to disenfranchise people:

Sponsored Links
But it is a myth.

Really?

Libertarianism is a view in politics and philosophy that focuses on liberty. Libertarianism says that it is usually better to give people more free choice. It also says that the government should have less control over people. ... Many of the beliefs of libertarianism are similar to the beliefs in classical liberalism.

Sponsored Links
Libertarian these days tends to mean wealthy right wing groups that use their power and money to influence government policy for personal gain.

The term "libertarian" actually means liberty from personal tax, corporate tax, reduced workers rights, less health and safety, less environmental protection, minimal social care for the needy.

Libertarian means liberty for billionaires and less for the proles.

I particularly like the MSM spin on the fake conflict with regards to the premature cancelling of the wearing of masks.

If I'm ever likely to be exposed to a dangerous virus I want a hazmat suit. Your flimsy masks are the equivalent of coughing into your fists.

Back