Populism, from a Political Philosophical viewpoint.

What is actually wrong with populism? (Without just quoting something straight off google)

It's just been latched on to by woke lefties as an excuse to explain why their whacky policies/beliefs/dreams have been constantly rejected by democratic voting.

All contemporary voting and canvassing includes populism as an inherent part of the process and decision making. But to the losers, especially the bitter woke cancel culture left who can't accept any view except their own, populism is bad.

Sponsored Links
Populism is not the sole preserve of the right, and you only have to look at soshul meeja to see that the left far outweigh the right, both in terms of content and pure weight of traffic.
Surely that depends on your perspective of what is right, and what is left.

You don't know exactly what labour would have or not have done, and is pointless to try and pretend otherwise.
As far as specifics is concerned, I would agree with you, but in general, history and policies have shown where the partys' loyalties lie.

What is actually wrong with populism? (Without just quoting something straight off google)

It's just been latched on to by woke lefties as an excuse to explain why their whacky policies/beliefs/dreams have been constantly rejected by democratic voting.

All contemporary voting and canvassing includes populism as an inherent part of the process and decision making. But to the losers, especially the bitter woke cancel culture left who can't accept any view except their own, populism is bad.
Back to my comment about don't the populace deserve some wise guidance, leadership with integrity, not simply governance by popular emotive issues, that also serve the needs and desires of those governing.

Sponsored Links
Back to my comment about don't the populace deserve some wise guidance, leadership with integrity, not simply governance by popular emotive issues, that also serve the needs and desires of those governing.
Who would you like to see in govt in the UK?

Populism is not the sole preserve of the right, and you only have to look at soshul meeja to see that the left far outweigh the right, both in terms of content and pure weight of traffic.

and yet....

daily-mail-november-4-20016-enemies-of-the-people.jpg

ExpressMigrants.jpg

ExpressLabour.png

Express1.jpg

People deserve the Government they voted for (or have).
Which is a proposition from de Maistre (philosopher)

What if the system restricts their choices?
And doesn't represent the popular vote?
A vote is a vote. One or the other. That's democracy.

You don't have a vote based every conceivable option. That's the cry from every loser, ever.

A vote is a vote. One or the other. That's democracy.
That's the system of democracy in use. Democracy is not defined by the system, but it is constrained by it.

You don't have a vote based every conceivable option.
But you could have a preference system allowing you to align your preferences in order.

That's the cry from every loser, ever.
Some systems do not work on a win/lose system, but allow all to have degrees of winning.
A system guaranteeing losers and winners ensures a government swinging from one extreme to the other every so often.
It also more or less guarantees a government that does not have the popular support.

Populism is quite distinct from simply trying to appeal to a wide enough audience to win power.
Populism uses dishonest, manipulative strategies to gaslight the voters.
Strategies include:
1 creation of a common enemy
2 taking on the role of the victim and emphasising a commonly felt social crisis
3 use democratic ideals to legitimize a non- democratic style of leadership
4 manipulation of media
These techniques have been used successfully by Trump, Leave campaign, Tories.
My guess is the rise of right wing populism has been enabled by social media......it allows lies to spread around the world faster than the truth.

It was also Notch who made the comment about right-wing populism exploiting social media, to which I made a counter-point.
Yes, Although you may disagree, Notch referred to right-wing populism. He didn't inherently exploit a supposedly impartial perspective.
However you expressed an opinion that the left-wing populism fills the media.
In order to make such a judgement call you must recognise that your perspective depends on your political viewpoint.
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, as long as it is presented as such.

I didn't say it was the sole preserve of the right.

I said SM has enabled lies to spread faster than the truth.....something right wing populism has taken advantage of.

Which is backed up with Trump, Johnson, Brexit....all use the strategies of populism.

"If you lie big, you can win big"

Are you sure the left outweighs the right in terms of spreading lies via SM?

I could very easily list a dozen right wing libertarian Brexit propaganda sites spouting endless lies, Im not sure I could find left wing sites so easily.

Sponsored Links
Back