The NHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulbrown

Heard two different things today about the health service.

1. On the news it was announced another group of around 200 staff were being made redundant.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4970754.stm

2. A mate of mine who I sometimes go for a pint with on a Thursday, phoned to tell me he can't make it tonight.

He has an admid post in the NHS and is staying in a hotel tonight as part of his job. They have booked them a room at £145 a night, plus they are having any meals provided. The hotel is 25 miles from where they work so they get travel allowance etc too. They have also booked a room for them to talk about the department and its aims next year.

There are seven people attending this meeting to exchange ideas!!!!. FFS, could they not have found room in their seven storey office block or in a hospital to have a chat about work!!

This all makes me think these so called shortages are some kind of ploy to get even more out of the Government. These wasteful activities by civil servants and public bodies need stopping and soon!

Sponsored Links
NHS is going down the pan. people i know involved in it are all saying the same

darkarius said:

I don't quite see why it should go down the pan ,It is not like biusness that is become outdated or that has been over taken by foreign competion,it's a service that needs to be sorted out.
Though, maybe it is a service that the goverment nolonger wants to operate anymore .THe goverment better watch themselves though ,because the people might start asking what are they actually doing .does this country have any use for a style of goverment that does not serve its people anymore

Fact of life.........No bureaucracy will ever purge itself.........Ye cannae change that Law ;)

Sponsored Links
paulbrown said:
Heard two different things today about the health service.

1. On the news it was announced another group of around 200 staff were being made redundant.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4970754.stm

2. A mate of mine who I sometimes go for a pint with on a Thursday, phoned to tell me he can't make it tonight.

He has an admid post in the NHS and is staying in a hotel tonight as part of his job. They have booked them a room at £145 a night, plus they are having any meals provided. The hotel is 25 miles from where they work so they get travel allowance etc too. They have also booked a room for them to talk about the department and its aims next year.

There are seven people attending this meeting to exchange ideas!!!!. FFS, could they not have found room in their seven storey office block or in a hospital to have a chat about work!!

This all makes me think these so called shortages are some kind of ploy to get even more out of the Government. These wasteful activities by civil servants and public bodies need stopping and soon!
good points, shows where money is wasted in businesses these days instead of buying the services and equipment needed.

Why indeed could they not have just used a spare room in their office block and got some coffee out of the machine?

When I worked for a major pharmaceutical chain they used to send us on development & training courses. These weren't just 'fun days' they were essential training days for our jobs.

However, we used to have to car share with people from other areas so most times we'd arrange to meet up at a central point and then only one car was allowed to be used from that point! They would pay our travel costs (at minimal costs) to the meeting point and then only petrol costs to the person driving from the meet-up point.

Most of these training days were held around 80 miles from where we lived and so we'd usually have to leave our houses extra early and get home extra late - incurring extra hours and childcare costs for most of us.

The company wouldn't pay for any of it though. Their reasoning was that they would pay for our lunch and it was part of the job!

Shame the NHS doesn't do the same - the pharmaceutical company is one of the richest in the UK & owns or co-owns many others that don't carry its name as well. They also tend to keep their staff :rolleyes:

darkarius said:
Agreed. My best friend and his partner both work for the NHS. James is a call op for NHS direct and Matthew is a Phlebotomist at the hospital. James is due a backdated pay-rise under the NHS "agenda for change" scheme, but despite this coming into effect some 7 months ago, he is told every month that they simply can't afford to pay it, and in fact he may be faced with redundancy as there is a very real chance that the NHS direct service may be scrapped altogether. Matthew is in a similar situation, he works lots of overtime every month but sometimes doesn't get paid for it until 3-4 months after he's supposed to, due to budgetary restrictions. Worse, the NHS trust "massage" their figures to make them look better on paper - towards the end of their financial year they sell off buildings and equipment to show more cash in the bank on the reports, only to rent these back at much greater expense. The whole thing is a mess.

Hi ninebob,

Whilst I sympathise with your friends I am not surprised that NHS Direct is going to be scrapped - they are completely useless. Have a read of my post on the 'Health' thread.

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident. There have been several cases in the local papers about them recently.

ninebob said:
darkarius said:
Agreed. My best friend and his partner both work for the NHS. James is a call op for NHS direct and Matthew is a Phlebotomist at the hospital. James is due a backdated pay-rise under the NHS "agenda for change" scheme, but despite this coming into effect some 7 months ago, he is told every month that they simply can't afford to pay it, and in fact he may be faced with redundancy as there is a very real chance that the NHS direct service may be scrapped altogether. Matthew is in a similar situation, he works lots of overtime every month but sometimes doesn't get paid for it until 3-4 months after he's supposed to, due to budgetary restrictions. Worse, the NHS trust "massage" their figures to make them look better on paper - towards the end of their financial year they sell off buildings and equipment to show more cash in the bank on the reports, only to rent these back at much greater expense. The whole thing is a mess.

My mrs works for the NHS, her dept is understaffed and overworked but they are still looking for cuts in staff levels. She does between 30 - 40 hours a month above her normal hours - she does not get paid for the extra. She has been suffering from stress and depression due to the workload but feels that she makes a difference and soldiers on.

Unfortunately , your mrs. makes no difference to the ani that run her hospital :evil: Get her out and into a better job before it`s too late.......been there, T-shirt with my own wife :eek:

dg123 said:
My mrs works for the NHS, her dept is understaffed and overworked but they are still looking for cuts in staff levels. She does between 30 - 40 hours a month above her normal hours - she does not get paid for the extra. She has been suffering from stress and depression due to the workload but feels that she makes a difference and soldiers on.

She cannot do work that isn't paid and authorised. She isn't covered by workers compensation if she gets injured or insurance if she injures someone else.

joe-90 said:
dg123 said:

She cannot do work that isn't paid and authorised. She isn't covered by workers compensation if she gets injured or insurance if she injures someone else.

If she doesn't do the work people could die. I'm not sure how she would injure someone else when there is no one there!

dg123 said:
If she doesn't do the work people could die. I'm not sure how she would injure someone else when there is no one there!

Nonesense. The government would be culpable.

Besides, how can people die if there's no-one there?

joe

joe-90 said:
dg123 said:

joe

If she doesn't supply the results of tests, treatment will not be forthcoming, therefore, lives are at risk. There is a whole lot of work which is done not in the presence of patients.

dg123 said:
joe-90 said:
dg123 said:

joe

If she doesn't supply the results of tests, treatment will not be forthcoming, therefore, lives are at risk. There is a whole lot of work which is done not in the presence of patients.

Sorry, It won't wash.

If your wife did unpaid work past her normal hours and she made a mistake due to tiredness and someone died - she would be charged with manslaughter.

To take the example to another industry, if a train driver decided to take a train out because his mate hadn't turned up and he ran a red light and caused a crash - he would be charged with manslaughter.

Give up on it mate - you can't possibly win this one.

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back