THE PROOF= DIY gas work is almost always illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm heatingman, I am definatley not an alter ego or fan for Drivel, there is a new poster called theheatingman, I have an inkling it is a reincarnation of driv aka water systems. Well it is easter sunday

Sponsored Links
I just hope the public can see the reality here that Drivel is a DANGER and wont take his advice!!

The difficuit is that when I went to "red store" to get some elec stuff, I saw some gas material they selling and on it is a gas cock, supply pipe for fire, bayonet, cooker hose pipe etc for gas, it make people, diyer or not, think, "oh, they selling that, good I can do it." and buy it. The only thing "red store" not selling is gasleak tester, tapes, leaker detecter and that is excellent. What I don't like is when I hear some people asking to staff about how to fit eg fire, cooker, pipes etc and staff explaining how to do it. I went to him and point out that he cannot explain how to do it. :mad: I told him he breaking the law and I explained to buyer that he need to get a competent or CORGI registered person.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
I think Stardanny has just hit the nail on the head.

If your competent, should you need to ask "how do I do it"

Forgive me for poking my nose in for i am not corgi registerd nor intend doing any work on any gas installations but i have noticed reference to the hse during this discussion but if you read the paragraph about the role of the hse it only mentions the workplace not the home where you would assume diy work would be done.
(HSE (or another relevant enforcing authority, for example a Local Authority) will investigate and, where appropriate, prosecute breaches of health and safety law under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA). The HSC Enforcement Policy Statement [PDF175 kb] emphasises the serious nature of any death resulting from work activities. However, HSE cannot investigate or prosecute unlawful killing, or any other criminal offences outside its health and safety remit.)

Forgive me for poking my nose in for i am not corgi registerd nor intend doing any work on any gas installations but i have noticed reference to the hse during this discussion but if you read the paragraph about the role of the hse it only mentions the workplace not the home where you would assume diy work would be done.
(HSE (or another relevant enforcing authority, for example a Local Authority) will investigate and, where appropriate, prosecute breaches of health and safety law under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA). The HSC Enforcement Policy Statement [PDF175 kb] emphasises the serious nature of any death resulting from work activities. However, HSE cannot investigate or prosecute unlawful killing, or any other criminal offences outside its health and safety remit.)
Do they not work in close conjunction with the Police who do have the powers?

The only people that prosecute are the CPS (crown prosecution service) they make a decision if a criminal offence has been committed following advise from the police, HSE and other suitably qualified bodies.
Silly Scenario.
Joe Public builds a dfe in his shed from baking tray and brake pipes and installs in his fire place. Due to lack of testing the fumes from fire poison the neighbour (fatal/non-fatal, choice is yours). National grid are called and hse will investigate with support from corgi. CPS will decide if there is a case to answer

Do they not work in close conjunction with the Police who do have the powers?

If you look on the HSE web site it only refers to the workplace as it says on the last line of their statement and not outside of there remit.

Still bickering lock the thread.

dftt.gif

Work activities also happen in the home !!
Totally agree but i don't think that according to their web site they cover diy work in the home, I work as a supervisor in a factory where I have to
know the health and safety at work act section 7 where it states I am responsible for my own health and safety as well has those around me,what health and safety act covers me and others in my own home because according to some posters on here they have qouted as being covered to do diy work on gas installations by the hse.

Oompah, what I think your saying is DIY is not covered by HSE, which is fundamentally correct. Any gas related incident will be investigated (RIDDOR) by HSE or its agent (corgi) to establish the cause, and lay blame, possibly a tradesman or diy.
So DIY not directly covered but involved through consequence/s

I understand why this subject has lengthy debates ,, the law in this country, in many ways, is confusing and gray !!

But I dont think the DIY er is exempt from the HSE's investigations and/or in the end prosecution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back