THE PROOF= DIY gas work is almost always illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Point taken, Dr D, but it still doesn't account for idiots who haven't got proper testing equipment, and if they had, don't know how to use them. You do have to have some idea of fundamentals, i.e. how a boiler works, internal controls, etc. You could argue that, if a numpty wants to work on his gas boiler, and he ends up poisoning himself and his family, then it's one less fool in the gene pool. But it could be you moving into said numpty's house after he has 'tinkered' with his boiler, he survives, hands you the keys and you end up being poisoned. Now don't get me wrong. I think that CORGI are a bunch of rip off merchants with a stranglehold on the gas safety industry, and with NAPIT pulling out of the tender, it only makes them stronger. But, in my opinion, we do need some form of control on the competency of DIY-ers.

This debate will go on and on :)

Sponsored Links
The bible is proof that there were some really good scriptwriters back then!! :)

nopityA.gif
nopityA.gif
nopityA.gif

Sponsored Links
well i hope that any diy gas workers liver next to you D D and not me, then i know me and my family wont be blown up by some idiot thinking he can fix his cooker or boiler after he has finished working in the office all week.

Problem is, every tom dick and harry thinks he / she is competent once they have a screwdriver or a spanner in their hand. I just think as long as the work is passed by a recognised body then fine.

the law does not state that it is legal neither does it state that it is illegal as long as you are competent

Everything is legal unless the law states so.

The law does not state woodwork is illegal, so it is legal.

By your logic everything we do is illegal unless the law state so.

But, in my opinion, we do need some form of control on the competency of DIY-ers.

The HSE think not. It is not an issue. They are more concerned about operators who are supposed to be pros.

NO. They believe that by using the word 'competant' they are giving a clear enough message that if you are not 'competant' then you should not be doing it because that would be illegal.
The HSE discussions the OP posted are considering the virtues of being specific and, with the exception of the OP and his ilk, have decided that the requirements as they now stand make it obvious to people that it is illegal to work on gas appliances if they are not competant to do so. ie Registered.

The HSE think not. It is not an issue.
Wrong. It is an issue and they cite suggestions to curtail diy gas work.
Not enough people die to make it worth spending time making extra laws about it.

Problem is, every tom dick and harry thinks he / she is competent once they have a screwdriver or a spanner in their hand. I just think as long as the work is passed by a recognised body then fine.
Quite so.
Even Drivel can read, but he keeps getting the law wrong. He probably thinks he's competent to read, work on gas, etc etc

NO. They believe that by using the word 'competant'

The HSE said:

"If you look at some of the rest of the report, and contributing consultants reports concerning dangers in the home in general, you will read that in the gas arena, CO poisoning is by far and away the biggest issue, and that all gas related accidents in the home are a tiny proportion of the total. Ergo, DIY gas work is not a major focus area for the HSE at present."

DIY work is an issue in safety to the HSE. Clear.

DD are you going to back up your point or just continue to post this discussion document from the HSE regarding the wording of requirements? This, your current favourite post, does not say what you think it says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back