THE PROOF= DIY gas work is almost always illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Lets us just agree, legal or not, that DIY gas is potentially very dangerous. :LOL:

Did you fail your ACS & G3 DD, the same as you mis-googled the Alpha CD50?

Sponsored Links
COMPETENT

With regard to working with gas, its not simplely a matter of being able perform a task of "work" (deff)

its the case that while undertaking that work it must be undertaken safely with proper regard to the 1998 GSIU Regs.

I draw your attention to Regulation 26

Reg 26-(9) Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immeadiately thereafter examine-

(a) the effectivness of any flue;
(b) the supply of combustion air;
(c) its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;
(d) its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning;

any gas diy work that has not been subjected to the above regulation
and statutory checks, has therefore been done in an INCOMPETENT manner

COMPETENT

With regard to working with gas, its not simplely a matter of being able perform a task of "work" (deff)

its the case that while undertaking that work it must be undertaken safely with proper regard to the 1998 GSIU Regs.

I draw your attention to Regulation 26

Reg 26-(9) Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immeadiately thereafter examine-

(a) the effectivness of any flue;
(b) the supply of combustion air;
(c) its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;
(d) its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning;

any gas diy work that has not been subjected to the above regulation
and statutory checks, has therefore been done in an INCOMPETENT manner
Here here!!!
This is the definition of competence you will be judged by !!

Driveller said:
Nixt said:
Did you fail your ACS & G3 DD,

I don't have any of that. Graduate engineers don't need such low qualifications.

Oh yes you do if you want to know what you're talking about, or work on any gas fitting other than your own.

I know everyone is fed up with this post going for so long, as it appears to be a general area of dispute, here is my 2ps worth.

I seem to re-call that 6/7 years ago there were a number of amendments made to gas regs, in anticipation of BC notification and to curtail the weekend/black market working under umbrella registration.

The "work for profit or gain on appliance or fitting.......
was changed to "work on appliance or fitting......

This change was to stop people using the "its charity work, my aunty, mum, etc etc excuse.

I regard to work on being, open/close/adjust/service/fiddle/tinker

The statement to "to work on must be competant........
For years competancy was not defined, the phrase " to be competant a person must have passed ACS and be a member of recognised body......" this was also added.

This change was to curtail the " I work for BD and have ACS( then it was ACOPs) so i can change my mums boiler at weekend for charity etc etc......

The regs just state "work on" they do not state in what capacity, ie employed, diyer, etc.

Therefore anyone who wishes to work on gas must adhere to part/all of the regulation, which then is covered by the competancy definition.

In which case diy work contravenes the gas regs unless the diyer has passed ACS including elements for appliance being worked on and is registered with HSE.

All replies welcome, except horsesh+t from DD

yo a voice of reason

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Well nearly - to be fair he wouldn't have had to pass ACS, to diy , for himself. But if he'd fail the assessment if he did then he'd be incompetent!

I asked a higher authority about this, who is disinterested - and uninterested :rolleyes: . SHE thought about it and said diy work on gas is something like selling alcohol.
It isn't illegal per se, but if you tell people "It's Legal" they'll break the law as soon as they try it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back