The Radiators have gone from slowly working to not working!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help out here, we had a problem when the radiators upstairs were warming up but downstairs were cold, we called a couple of plumbers and they said it seems like our pump is on its last legs...so one guy installed a new pump- great stuff-the radiators all started working and heating up, then we started to hear weird noices from the pump, like loud squaking voices, i tried to get in touch with the same plumber, couldn't get hold of him, so we called someone else in who said he'd put in a bigger pump but it was on a slight angle, so when the water wasn't reaching the top of the pump it was heating, hence the voices!! that was his theory, so he cut around the wood, (the pump is in the floorboards in the loft) and straigtened it. well since he did that the radiators stopped heating up again, i tried to get hold of this same man and he dissapeared too!! so then i called someone else, and he said we have air in the pipes-to bleed the radiators, so we did that, and we even took most of the radiators off downstairs, washed them and put them back on- but no they are not heating up, now only one heats up upstairs and downstairs are totally cold. what is it?? what can it be? is it worth calling out a professional who will just run away with my money but the problem will still be there? is it something me and husband can fix ourselves? we are sooo confused now...please help someone!!

Sponsored Links
sounds like air in system or blockage.

with the boiler running can you feel heat in the pipes at the pump?

1) check that the gate valves either side of the pump are open.

2) close one end of all but one rad with pump running, work your way around your system, open another rad and closing the other you should get a gurgling noise at some point around your system.

when you get around all rads put them all back on and you should get heat to them all.

thats something you can do but if it don't work there could be a blockage.

i will have to check about the zone valves, we have a back boiler, behind a fireplace.

Thanx i will try what you have suggested and see if it works.

Sponsored Links
Our water tank is in the loft, so is the pump, but the boiler is behind the fireplace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back