The Rayburn and its S plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Continuing to be haunted by this heating system, I've now put a new ST6400c programmer on, and all seems to be well. I'm now trying to balance the system - which I think is a S plan (2 MV's in loft, 1 pump, cylinder stat and room stat).
However, the HW header tanks have an expansion pipe, but the F&E tank does not, and if most of the rads are closed off, hot water bubbles up the flow pipe of the F&E until the boiler shuts down.
Is this in order? I'm confused even more now? Comments please?
Thanks John :)

Sponsored Links
How pold is it and has it ever worked properly?
Where does the cold feed join the system?
I would think there should be a vent on an aga - check MIs or ring Aga.

burnerman said:
However, the HW header tanks have an expansion pipe, but the F&E tank does not, and if most of the rads are closed off, hot water bubbles up the flow pipe of the F&E until the boiler shuts down.

lack of a bypass :idea:

Sponsored Links
How pold is it and has it ever worked properly?
Where does the cold feed join the system?
I would think there should be a vent on an aga - check MIs or ring Aga.

The Rayburn in question is 1999 - I don't know if it has ever worked properly. The property is a bungalow - the boiler feed / return pipes go into the loft where there are 2 MV's and the copper cylinder, plus header and F&E tanks. The pipes then descend back to the underfloor where they feed the rads. The system does work reasonably - at least all of the rads heat up eventually - I'm trying to balance things so they all reach similar temperatures. However most of the rads have TRV's and I feel, when the tenants get in, they will turn some of them off which results in momentary boiling until the boiler shuts things off. Hence my concern about the lack of expansion pipe.
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated! Cheers John :)

burnerman said:

lack of a bypass :idea:

Kev, I don't know if there is a bypass fitted, but I appreciate that there should be...I have a feeling that one of the bathroom radiators may be acting as one, but again they have TRV's fitted :confused: I can't access the main flow and return pipes - they are buried under a timber floor which has quarry tiles on it :( Anyway the system seems calm so long as the boiler stat isn't put too high, and the rad TRV's are left open. I'm closing them down one at a time to see if the boiler overheats.
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. Cheers John :)

I know that some of you seem hell bent on nightmare jobs!

However, as this is for a landlord then its a potential double nightmare.

I just dont see how you can ever charge for the work you would have to do to understand it.

Just fitting an auto bypass should sort it out. Why not just do that and forget how its configured?

Tony

Is the pump also in the loft? If so then it's just a question of looking to see if there are any tees between the pump and mvs, and see where it/they go.

Does anyone remember the fellow who installed a second hand range for a lady?

She refused to pay for 28 mm heating pipes so he did it in 22 and it overheated.

She reported him to CORGI who found he was working out of scope. Instead of rushing out to take the assessment he did nothing! They agreed that he would replace the heating pipe in 28 mm and she was to have paid just for the materials.

He replaced the pipes but it still did not work properly and she never paid anything more but instead sued him for £3300 !

I never heard the outcome but thats an example of someone who takes on a difficult job with a difficult customer and ends up seriously out of pocket.

Tony

I know that some of you seem hell bent on nightmare jobs!

However, as this is for a landlord then its a potential double nightmare.

I just dont see how you can ever charge for the work you would have to do to understand it.

Just fitting an auto bypass should sort it out. Why not just do that and forget how its configured?

Tony

The owners are actually friends of mine - so far :LOL: and I'm trying to do them a favour....
Tony, please tell me about an auto bypass, and if it can be fitted even if there could be a radiator acting as one? Bearing in mind I cannot access any of the flow and return pipes apart from where they are in the loft, which is at least 15 feet from the Rayburn. Cheers John :)

Is the pump also in the loft? If so then it's just a question of looking to see if there are any tees between the pump and mvs, and see where it/they go.

Yes thanks.....if the thing overheats again its time to call out the artillery :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back