The red wire or the blue wire?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I'm replacing a very old timer switch for a light. I took off the old switch and chucked it while I had the walls re-plastered. Now I want to put a new switch on.

But I don't know which wires should go where. There are two red and two black wires to be wired in to my switch plate. But how do I know which is the switched live or live load or whatever it's called?

Also, the earth wires just seem to run through the socket box and there appears no earth to attach to the flat plate.

I also need to know which switch plate I need. I got a 1 Gang 2W 10AX plate switch but I don't know what should go into each socket.

Can anyone help a dumb brunette??

Sponsored Links
The blacks need to be joined together in a piece of terminal block, they do not connect to the switch.
One red will connect to Com, the other to L1. It doesn't matter which way around.
Is the new switch metal?
I take it that this circuit is fed from a lighting circuit?

But I don't know which wires should go where. There are two red and two black wires to be wired in to my switch plate. But how do I know which is the switched live or live load or whatever it's called?
By using your multimeter.

Also, the earth wires just seem to run through the socket box and there appears no earth to attach to the flat plate.
There won't be if it's plastic - connecting them to the back box is fine.

I also need to know which switch plate I need. I got a 1 Gang 2W 10AX plate switch but I don't know what should go into each socket.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Okay. Interesting that the blacks do not connect to the switch, but you're the expert! So I'll join them and put them in a plastic terminal box.

The switch is metal. Which is COM and which is L1?

Yes you're correct it is a lighting circuit. Does that explain why it doesn't need to be earthed? Or if the switch plate is metal, do I need to earth it somehow?

Sponsored Links
The top one will be the common, use this and 1way. Clean the sticker mess off too ;)
As it is a metal switch front take both the earth wires out of the back box and fix them to the earth terminal on the plate. I would also connect a short piece of 1mm earth wire between the plate and the back box.

The top terminal is COM and the bottom left terminal is L1.
The two earth wires connected to the backbox need to be moved to the separate earth terminal on the switch, and another short earth wire connected from the switch earth terminal to the backbox.

However as that looks like a GET flat plate switch, and the backbox in the wall is 16mm depth, the chances of that switch fitting properly are zero.

Excellent! I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back