The right wingers moan about equality

Lol. Builders of England, pronounce Rioja with a husky sounding "J". Then you are not thick. Keep em coming Einstein.
We have an Indian restaurant near us called Rucci. The thick t wats pronounced it “Rookie ”. Bless ‘em. As a last resort they decided to rebadge as Ruchi, so the morons could get it right.:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
All of the people I meet abroad especially the Dutch, speak English and make an effort to make themselves understood. We are, as a linguistic nation ignorant and rightly ridiculed for it.
Not all of them - over near the German border in places like Hengelo you are as likely, possibly more likely, to find someone who's second language is German... Not everywhere in the Netherlands is Holland, or Amsterdam. When I lived in the Benelux I conciously made the effort to NOT look British (not difficult, you just have to dress with a bit of style...) Groetjes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all of them - over near the German border in places like Hengelo you are as likely, possibly more likely, to find someone who's second language is German... Not everywheer in the Netherlands is Holland, or Amsterdam. Groetjes!
All of them.
We skied out of Austria down into Switzerland and found an incredible restaurant. All the serving lasses were wearing skimpy leather lederhosen. There were Germans, Dutch, French, Austrians and us English (oddly no Swiss tourists). All were communicating in English with impressive accent.
We do appear ignorant to those outside the UK, language wise.

I think we are ignorant towards language. Some feel English is the only language needed. It's to our disadvantage and a great advantage to those who can.

Regrettably I tried but failed to learn so I encourage my girls to learn. I love seeing these young east Europe kids speaking 3 languages (it's so common) Romanian lads at work also spoke Russian. I've always admired someone who can grasp languages.
My eldest tells me she's getting on OK with Latin. I think that's the core to learning Italian French, Spanish and do so on.

This is not just a British problem but any nation that speaks English as a first language.. generally speaking.

Sponsored Links
All of the people I meet abroad especially the Dutch, speak English and make an effort to make themselves understood. We are, as a linguistic nation ignorant and rightly ridiculed for it.

I worked in an international, principally European committee for 15 years - without the French (as they did their own 'thing'). The proceedings were all carried out in English as the only common language amongst all the participating parties, including the Chinese.
It is embarrassing for Brit's overseas - I do try to use Spanish when I'm in the Canaries. Did learn a few words of Maltese when I worked there in the '80's (mainly to express my opinion and protection in the 3 cities).
AFAICS - English is the Linga-Franca of the world.

We do appear ignorant to those outside the UK, language wise

When us English folks find we arent being understood, we repeat what weve said only much louder -how dare furrinors not understand

The most common spoken native language is Mandarin,
The second most is Spanish

English is the most common spoken language, but is only slightly ahead of Mandarin.

English is the most common spoken language, but is only slightly ahead of Mandarin.

How do you work that one out? I think English is ahead of Spanish.

Make sure you're suitably ashamed then or the apologist police will be giving you a knock.

you need not be ashamed of speaking your mother tongue, whatever it may be

but you should be ashamed of making no attempt to pronounce people's names correctly, or visiting a foreign country and making no attempt to learn basic civilities.

you need not be ashamed of speaking your mother tongue, whatever it may be

but you should be ashamed of making no attempt to pronounce people's names correctly, or visiting a foreign country and making no attempt to learn basic civilities.
m ich has probably got a leg tattoo with his name and a bulldog on it. All he needs really.

You have gone quiet...... maybe you did a bit of research. Try using Google and it will help.....
. At least before you post baseless facts.

You have gone quiet...... maybe you did a bit of research. Try using Google and it will help.....
. At least before you post baseless facts.
It’s surprising but true

1. Chinese — 1.3 Billion Native Speakers. ...
  2. Spanish — 471 Million Native Speakers. ...
  3. English — 370 Million Native Speakers. ...
  4. Hindi — 342 Million Native Speakers. ...
  5. Arabic — 315 Million Native Speakers. ...
  6. Portuguese — 232 Million Native Speakers. ...
  7. Bengali — 229 Million Native Speakers

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/the-10-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world

It’s surprising but true

1. Chinese — 1.3 Billion Native Speakers. ...
  2. Spanish — 471 Million Native Speakers. ...
  3. English — 370 Million Native Speakers. ...
  4. Hindi — 342 Million Native Speakers. ...
  5. Arabic — 315 Million Native Speakers. ...
  6. Portuguese — 232 Million Native Speakers. ...
  7. Bengali — 229 Million Native Speakers

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/the-10-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world

Let's look at at South America.

Brazil.= Portuguese
Then we have small regions that speak french
Then we can say the rest of South & Central America speak Spanish.

None of the above are Native languages .

1. Spanish — 471 Million Native Speakers

Fluck me Spain must be busy...

Last edited:
English is the most widely spoken language in the world. Obviously the country with a population of 1.4 billion will be the most commonly spoken native language.

BCBBEBF5-5170-471A-A3F8-D03DFBA620C7.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back