The sheer ignorance of people continues to amaze me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a report on (West) Midlands Today where one woman needs a kidney transplant. She is Asian. Her neighbour from a few streets away (who is also a colleague) offered the Asian woman one of her kidneys. She is 'white'. The Asian woman came on saying at first she didn't think it could be done, as she thought it had to be 'within the same culture, you know, Asian to Asian'. The 'white' woman went to her doctors to check this out, and of course her doctor said it didn't matter.

For God's sake, why are people so wrapped up in the colour of their skin? The only difference in skin colour is the level of melanoma. Would this woman think that Russian to French would be allowed? After all, the skin tone is slightly different. Everybody (except brothers and sisters) have a slightly different 'ethnic heritage' anyway.

When will people learn it is of no significance what colour skin you have? Scientists, anthropologists and sociologists don't use 'black', 'white', 'yellow' etc because they are misleading, inaccurate and unhelpful.

Sponsored Links
Well if she is fussy to where it comes from leave her to rot and die-----no someone will call me a racist.

No, she is accepting it, the operation is going ahead. It was just her ignorance that astounded me.

Freddie said:
Well if she is fussy to where it comes from leave her to rot and die-----no someone will call me a racist.
trying to make an issue out of it again freddie? She was just making the point that she thought there was incompatibility and not being fussy, there are issues with certain blood groups with a proportion of the populace having sickle cell or such like so i beleive she was just being on the cautious side, once she was made aware by the doctors she agreed to go ahead, would you be willing to take an asian donors organs to save your life?

Sponsored Links
An asian persons liver is less likely to be pickled before you get it

Nige F said:
An asian persons liver is less likely to be pickled before you get it

You've never met a Sikh, I take it! :LOL:

Actually I agree with Freddie. OK in this instance the recipient is accepting the Kidney, obviously following medical advice that contradicted her racial bias, but if she was still against it due to racial difference, then I would say the same as Freddie...

People need to remember that racism is not a preserve of the white races..

she wasnt against big spark she just made an assumption that a doner from another ethnic group would not be a match

Exactly. Not a case of ....

"I ain't having no dirty effing whitey's liver inside me !!"

more a case of........

"Erm....I don't think this is going to work, is it ?? You know, what with her being white and me being brown and all that ??"

unless I've read it wrongly :?:

I asked previously would you take an asian organ if it meant it would save your life? well would you? the question seems to have been met with silence ;)

kendor said:
I asked previously would you take an asian organ if it meant it would save your life? :

I wouldn't take one.

I'd wait until it was offered!

kendor said:
Freddie said:
trying to make an issue out of it again freddie? She was just making the point that she thought there was incompatibility and not being fussy, there are issues with certain blood groups with a proportion of the populace having sickle cell or such like so i beleive she was just being on the cautious side, once she was made aware by the doctors she agreed to go ahead, would you be willing to take an asian donors organs to save your life?

I only just came back to this thread Kendor and noticed you are off on one again, as regards that woman being fussy about sickle cell, if i remember correctly that disease only affects black people and Arabs with the exception of Greeks or Turks, but the Anglo-Saxon of us arent suseptable.

As regards your race stirring again, i think the woman is highly ungratefull and if she was a muslim i believe that even though they approve of organ transplants some are wary as to were it comes from ( funny if it was a Jew ) :LOL:

Hether i would have a transplant from a foreign person?-----i couldnt give a toss as to who gives it i am not racist only you and your friends keep telling me i am just because i dont agree with you

kendor said:
I asked previously would you take an asian organ if it meant it would save your life? well would you? the question seems to have been met with silence ;)

Yes. Race is about skin pigment and attitudes not compatability. All livers are equal

Freddie said:
kendor said:
Freddie said:

I only just came back to this thread Kendor and noticed you are off on one again, as regards that woman being fussy about sickle cell, if i remember correctly that disease only affects black people and Arabs with the exception of Greeks or Turks, but the Anglo-Saxon of us arent suseptable.

As regards your race stirring again, i think the woman is highly ungratefull and if she was a muslim i believe that even though they approve of organ transplants some are wary as to were it comes from ( funny if it was a Jew ) :LOL:

Hether i would have a transplant from a foreign person?-----i couldnt give a toss as to who gives it i am not racist only you and your friends keep telling me i am just because i dont agree with you
Race stirring? i asked the question of you as you were making the issue of it! You were trying to make more out of the story by saying she was being fussy about where it came from and not the real reason because of worry over compatibility. tell me where i was saying you were racist? i was merely finding out whether you would be prepared to accept an organ or not, nothing more, it seems you wish to try making out that i'm accusing you of racism?

when i mentioned sickle cell i did say or such like, asians are susceptible to diabetes and a few other ailments so it is not unreasonable for the recipient to be concerned after all there is concern with cross species diseases let alone race and the media has whipped up fear in people what with CJD etc.

Sponsored Links
Back