Whoopie Goldberg and the Holocaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted to say, that I think Whoopi Goldberg has been unfairly lambasted for her remarks.
Yes, they were probably poorly delivered, or she was not sure of the science, or she could have explained herself better.
She said:
Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended from a US talk show after saying the Holocaust involved "two groups of white people".
The actress and TV personality said on ABC's The View that the Nazi genocide of the Jews was "not about race".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60225196
Technically she was correct, as we understand the science today.
But back then the scientific world still thought about ethnicity being different races.
So, yes, absolutely, the Nazis, by the scientific standards of that time, did perceive themselves as the master 'race', and Jews as an inferior 'race'.

Science and education has moved on, and we now know that there is only one 'race', the Human Race. We are all descended from the same origins, we all share the same DNA, etc.
The minor differences are down to evolution, us adapting our bodies to cope with the local conditions, it's not genetics, there has been no subdivision of different species. And from those local conditions and disparities different cultures and religions have developed. We now classify ourselves as different ethnicities, within the same 'race'.

So technically, the Nazi persecution of Jews was indeed between different ethnicities, if you like two groups of white ethnicities, except they didn't understand that at the time. They thought it was about 'race'.

So I do think that Whoopi Goldberg has been slightly harshly treated for either being a little ignorant, or failing to explain herself adequately. By today's scientific knowledge she was correct, but not by the science as understood then.

Of course, there is the possibility that I could be wrong, and she was trying to argue that only white people can be racist, but that isn't the angle that I detect from her.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you clever enough to be getting into discussing things that you know very little about, even with a lot more knowledge I don't think you have the mental capacity to process, digest & comprehend.

Do you want to really know why the Nazi's & practically every nation they have ever settled in hate the Jews, the very basis of anti-semitism?

To put it in its simplest & most basic form, it is because they are successfull.

It is understandable that a black woman who has lived her whole life experiencing racism as a white on black attack would point out that exterminating Jews is not racism.
She has since said sorry and now expanding her understanding of what racism is, ie, not restricted to skin colour, but extends to DNA, culture etc.

Do you want to really know why the Nazi's & practically every nation they have ever settled in hate the Jews, the very basis of anti-semitism?
Yes - racism.

I don't think you clever enough to be getting into discussing things that you know very little about, even with a lot more knowledge I don't think you have the mental capacity to process, digest & comprehend.

To put it in its simplest & most basic form, it is because they are successfull.
I'm clever enough to understand that you have misunderstood my comments entirely.
It was not a discussion about whether the Nazis, or anyone else hated the Jews, nor why, nor the basis of anti-Semitism.
It was about the unfair treatment of Whoopie Goldberg, possibly caused by her own ignorance of the science, or her poor explanation of that science.

Before you accuse others of low intelligence or poor education I suggest you check your comment for spelling and grammatical errors.
People do look rather silly when they accuse others of low intelligence, but are unable to see their own obvious faults.

Sponsored Links
I really don't know where to begin, so I'll just leave it at that.

That's probably for the best. :)

Oh OK then, I'll start you off with this.

You have given your opinion on a situation Ms. Goldberg finds herself in. Your opinion has several racist remarks & a general overall racist undertone.

This is not unusual for the persona we identify as "AngleEyes". We could possibly perceive that you are either (A) Stupid, or (B) A racist.

I'm going to stick with my principle of never engaging either (A) or (B) in a debate.

Oh OK then, I'll start you off with this.

You have given your opinion on a situation Ms. Goldberg finds herself in. Your opinion has several racist remarks & a general overall racist undertone.
Kindly point out these racist remarks and racist undertones.

Kindly point out these racist remarks and racist undertones.
As you've failed to identify any of my comments that could be considered remotely racist, or even having racist undertones, it's safe to assume that you had not identified any comments of mine that meet your description. Therefore your comments were ludicrous, baseless and false allegations intended to incite, and made before you had identified any comments that could remotely meet your description.

She's apologised mate, jog on.
She sounds contrite and anyone can make a mistake it's recognising it quickly and addressing it.

I'm no fan of this woman, but if she has apologised as per internet shows, just jog on

She's apologised mate, jog on.
She sounds contrite and anyone can make a mistake it's recognising it quickly and addressing it.

I'm no fan of this woman, but if she has apologised as per internet shows, just jog on
I haven't addressed how contrite she is, nor whether that she recognised her mistake and apologised.

Was my OP not sufficiently clear that two people so misunderstood what I said?
I'll repeat: I was addressing her rather harsh treatment, possibly caused by her own lack of fully understanding the science, or failing to explain herself adequately.
I have not mentioned whether the Nazis hated the Jews, nor why. Neither have I suggested that Whoopi Goldberg should have or should not have apologised.
I have explained why she was technically correct, by todays understanding of science. But she has been judged on the science as it was understood at the time, which we now know to be incorrect.
So both Whoopi Goldberg was correct, by todays science, and so were her critics to address her comments, from the perspective of the prevailing views at the time.
I'm arguing that there is room for compromise, and her harsh treatment is unjustified.

Probably the real truth is, that some people can't handle a black woman talking about racism on the TV, so kicked up a fuss. The same people are probably also Holocaust deniers, so it's a double win for them, to be able to claim a black woman is being racist against Jews, while they sit back smugly in their uniquely grotesque way, feeling that racism has won yet another day.

Probably the real truth is, that some people can't handle a black woman talking about racism on the TV, so kicked up a fuss. The same people are probably also Holocaust deniers, so it's a double win for them, to be able to claim a black woman is being racist against Jews, while they sit back smugly in their uniquely grotesque way, feeling that racism has won yet another day.
I'm not convinced your comments are accurate JP_. I'm sure that a lot of people are comfortable (as comfortable as anyone can be about racism) with a black person talking about racism.
Neither am I convinced that Whoopi Goldberg is racist against Jews, or that others are quick to make the allegation for whatever reason.
I suppose the acid test would be if Whoopi Goldberg described all racism as tension/conflict between ethnicities, because that is what it is. There are no other races! In which case she would be absolutely correct, although it wouldn't negate the fact the Nazis persecution of Jews was about race, as it was understood at the time.
If however she described, say white on black, Asian, Chinese etc as conflict between races, then a) she would be very wrong, b) she would indeed be making the difference between one sort of racism and another, and c) indicating that her earlier comments were based on ignorance and misunderstanding.

I just wanted to say, that I think Whoopi Goldberg has been unfairly lambasted for her remarks.
Yes, they were probably poorly delivered, or she was not sure of the science, or she could have explained herself better.
She said:
Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended from a US talk show after saying the Holocaust involved "two groups of white people".
The actress and TV personality said on ABC's The View that the Nazi genocide of the Jews was "not about race".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60225196
Technically she was correct, as we understand the science today.
But back then the scientific world still thought about ethnicity being different races.
So, yes, absolutely, the Nazis, by the scientific standards of that time, did perceive themselves as the master 'race', and Jews as an inferior 'race'.

Science and education has moved on, and we now know that there is only one 'race', the Human Race. We are all descended from the same origins, we all share the same DNA, etc.
The minor differences are down to evolution, us adapting our bodies to cope with the local conditions, it's not genetics, there has been no subdivision of different species. And from those local conditions and disparities different cultures and religions have developed. We now classify ourselves as different ethnicities, within the same 'race'.

So technically, the Nazi persecution of Jews was indeed between different ethnicities, if you like two groups of white ethnicities, except they didn't understand that at the time. They thought it was about 'race'.

So I do think that Whoopi Goldberg has been slightly harshly treated for either being a little ignorant, or failing to explain herself adequately. By today's scientific knowledge she was correct, but not by the science as understood then.

Of course, there is the possibility that I could be wrong, and she was trying to argue that only white people can be racist, but that isn't the angle that I detect from her.
Was the persecution of Jews about race?
As far as i know the jews are not regarded as a race.
Abraham was the progenitor of the jewish nation.
So therefore before Abraham there were no Jewish people.
So what race was Abraham.

Sponsored Links
Back