The standard of literacy in the uk(?) as judged by forum posts.....

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Admission: I am somewhat dyslexic.

Reading some of the posts on the forum, one has to wonder what the standard of literacy and education is in the UK these days,

I'm not talking about being grammar perfect, we all make spelling mistakes, punctuation errors etc., but some posts and threads really do have me wondering how the posters manage to communicate on a day-day basis.
I struggle sometimes to decipher wtf is being asked.

I find the Irish and non-uk forums much more coherent.

What gives?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the state system seemed to withdraw from drumming the three Rs into pupils (now strangely referred to as students) some decades ago. Being far from academic myself, I was lucky that my parents wasted their money on private schools for me. At primary school, the emphasis was on correct spelling and grammar as well as old fashioned notions like copper-plate writing and elocution. Biros were banned, only fountain pens allowed. The standards were possibly Victorian, but in the 1970s. Instant text and email communication seems to have also lowered standards.

I don't find things too bad on here, but maybe (no names) one or two who take a bit more deciphering. Don't like the overuse of acronyms though, especially the more obscure ones that really take more thought than should be necessary to work out.

Last edited:
Is a forum like this the best way of judging standards of written English?

Written English and the preservation of its standards is personally important to me. I will always query errors in the right setting such as in discussions with professionals, however I will never do it on here because the main purpose of this website is to help people achieve their DIY goals. There will be people from all walks of life on here. My Dad can barely read or write, but he was a master French polisher and he never so much as uttered a profanity to us growing up. Looking back, I value that far higher than his ability to read or write.

People communicate their ideas and thoughts in different ways and often we need to exercise some discretion in our understanding of them.

Sponsored Links
I am somewhat dyslexic.

Me too but on forums I am inclined to use a sort of short hand english and miss out unneeded words. I also do not go to much trouble to correct my basic problem. I can but why bother. I don't mind people assuming I am an idiot which does sometimes happen.

Me too but on forums I am inclined to use a sort of short hand english and miss out unneeded words. I also do not go to much trouble to correct my basic problem. I can but why bother. I don't mind people assuming I am an idiot which does sometimes happen.
Some advice I received so many years ago: If you're going to bother writing it, make it easy to read, and preferably enjoyable for your reader.

If reading your comments is too much like hard work, many will not bother, so you've wasted your time.
Consider also that many on here have a very short attention span. So anything more than two or three lines will not be read by many.

Abbreviations can be a problem if not explained initially and I never abbreviate anything unless I've posted the meanings first, ok.

Who gives a flying f about anything else as long as one gets the message.

This is not a uni, etc but a forum for posters to ask questions, be helpful, have a bit of fun, discuss concerns that you may not otherwise be able to as no one else speaks to you.

Please do not call the spelling police, lol.( lol = lots of love) :D

punctuation errors etc.

"Or punctuation errors, etc."?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

With regards to current educational standards in the UK, I would not imagine that many school children frequent this forum.

LOL Sometimes I choose to present exoplanetary facts. Screenshots, links etc. I am a little anal ytical about all sorts of things. Often results in a different perspective. ;) I missed out this. I added the space on purpose too.

Abbreviations can be a problem if not explained initially and I never abbreviate anything unless I've posted the meanings first, ok.

Who gives a flying f about anything else as long as one gets the message.

This is not a uni, etc but a forum for posters to ask questions, be helpful, have a bit of fun, discuss concerns that you may not otherwise be able to as no one else speaks to you.

Please do not call the spelling police, lol.( lol = lots of love) :D
I can agree with a lot of your points, even the one about it's not a Uni, but some common courtesies should apply.
E.g flat and simplistic denials are pointless, and reduce the discussion to panto' level.
If people make assertions, they should be prepared to prove or at least elucidate their assertions when challenged. To make unsupportable allegations and assertions is disingenuous.
If one claims to provide proof or their source, etc, then the links to their source should be provided so that the information, and the context can be verified.

Sponsored Links
Back