The standard of literacy in the uk(?) as judged by forum posts.....

Who gives a flying f about anything else as long as one gets the message.

This is not a uni, etc but a forum for posters to ask questions, be helpful, have a bit of fun, discuss concerns that you may not otherwise be able to as no one else speaks to you.

Agreed.

I come here to offer advice or ask for advice. I can, from time to time, be a snob but if someone is asking for help. or offering me help I am not going to be dismissive because their syntax, spelling or grammar is worse than mine. That said, I normally avoid the "general discussion" section.

Sponsored Links
I can agree with a lot of your points, even the one about it's not a Uni, but some common courtesies should apply.
E.g flat and simplistic denials are pointless, and reduce the discussion to panto' level.
If people make assertions, they should be prepared to prove or at least elucidate their assertions when challenged. To make unsupportable allegations and assertions is disingenuous.
If one claims to provide proof or their source, etc, then the links to their source should be provided so that the information, and the context can be verified.

" panto' "?

/ducksForCover

And no I do not mean covers made out of ducks...

I can agree with a lot of your points, even the one about it's not a Uni, but some common courtesies should apply.
E.g flat and simplistic denials are pointless, and reduce the discussion to panto' level.
If people make assertions, they should be prepared to prove or at least elucidate their assertions when challenged. To make unsupportable allegations and assertions is disingenuous.
If one claims to provide proof or their source, etc, then the links to their source should be provided so that the information, and the context can be verified.
Your initial gripe was ‘literacy’ or the lack of it here. Contriving an argument on a topic you spent time reading about then copying and pasting endless pages of other peoples statistics on said subject makes you no more literate than anybody else here. You seriously need to get a life fella.

Sponsored Links

Please be clear in what you are attempting to say.

Please be clear in what you are attempting to say.

It is a snipe at myself for saying that something wasn't racist but then refusing to get drawn into a pedants brawl with himself over the definition of "racist".

It is a snipe at myself for saying that something wasn't racist but then refusing to get drawn into a pedants brawl with himself over the definition of "racist".
Don’t feed the trolls.

Wot? :)

By the way, if your going to capitalize Irish then at least also do it for the UK. :)

Everything is racist nowadays.

I hate acronyms with a vengeance. Mis-spelling and incorrect grammar/punctuation I can cope with but acronyms are the devils own work!
I once stopped a high level meeting in Heinz after some youngster started using them to discuss such things as OEM's, KPI's, ATR's etc etc. I explained that we have a beautiful language which has many eloquent words and phrases to enable a person to explain themselves so everyone can undesrstand what they are saying. Acronyms mean nothing to a large majority of people at these meetings unless they use them in their daily work environment, which most of us didn't, so could we please use standard English when speaking. An old gentleman at the head of the table, (turned out to be one of the highest members of the whole Heinz management board), stood up, asked who I was and then thanked me. He explained he has to attend these sort of meetings on a regular basis and never understands what is being said. He has to ask his secretary to explain it all afterwards and half the time he didn't understand it either! From then on all meetings were conducted using plain language and people were encouraged to raise their hand and ask for an explanation if they didn't understand something.

Sponsored Links
Back