Theoretical Question about a roof terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying a house, and as the front of the house is south facing, and due to the surrounding houses and trees, the garden at the back doesn't get any sun. However the side of the house seems to be a bit of a sun trap. unfortunately this would be the only place i could possibly build a garage. Assuming I could get a garage passed, What kind of rules would their be for turning its roof into a roof terrace, something to sit up on and enjoy a bbq etc.

Would I run in to issues from overlooking other gardens or homes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its probably relevant that the garage would be in theory from the house to the boundary of the property, next doors house is almost on top of the boundary, but I don't think there are any windows on that side either upstairs or downstairs

Overlooking is a primary consideration for a balcony/terrace. If it overlooks a garden or window you might struggle.

Sponsored Links
post up a couple of pictures and a satellite view, maybe we'll be able to think of something you missed..

I submitted drawings on behalf of a client . his balcony was in the middle of a golf course .this was refused because it was over looking acres of green fields. encriaching on neighbours privacy

In London I'm getting a fair bit of success with roof terraces at the moment. Local authorities are generally happy with the installation of privacy screening (usually about 1.7m high) to prevent you overlooking neighbours whilst still getting outdoor space.

However, I wouldn't suggest that the same rules apply outside of London. Of course, each case is taken on its own merits, but some authorities simply wouldn't entertain the idea on a matter of principle - particularly where the area is not particularly built up, enclosed or lacking for private amenity space.

I travel into Central London by Tube, and I see the rear of loads of terraced houses with single storey flat-roofed extensions, and on the roofs garden furniture. Some have doors out onto them, some just large windows not too high off the floor.

Don't see many (actually, struggling to remember if I've seen any) with balustrades.

OOI - if you can't get PP for a terrace, and don't have a door to access the roof, what law(s) are you breaking if you decide to shin up a ladder or climb out of a window, and sit on your roof?

[code:1]hispost appears to be turning into p`takebut this one is the best. if you caught shining up a ladder , i think you had better get your story ready for plod and just maybe it`s a handy place to keep your garden furniture. let us all know when you see the paramedics for people falling off the roof[/code:1]

It could be argued that being on an unguarded flat roof is dangerous, but is there a law against putting yourself in danger?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back