There's damp plasterboard behind tiles - see pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Help very much appreciated here.
I've just bought my first house and after the first two weeks the shower started leaking to the downstairs kitchen.

I removed and regrouted a couple of rows of the annoying 1inx1inch tiles but that didn't work.

I've now removed more of the tles and found that they've been put onto plasterboard. I've removed 600 (yeah i counted them) back to where the pasterboard is still firm but a little bit damp.

Looking for advice what to do next, will I need to remove all the tiles and replace with something else? Or can I just get some waterproof board and flll the area and add retile?

I'm so disappointed, the bathroom looked new and was a selling point knowing that it wouldn't need doing for a while :(

Many thanks

Jay

Sponsored Links
Ok
The wall construction is a solid wall which has been dot and dabbed with plasterboard...then tiled with mosaic tiles...
And looking at your pic even trying to Attach back in p/board and re tiling will be a nightmare...

How big an area is that wall...looking again at your pic it's the width off the bath 700mm...

IMO take it all done and redo....

The leak may have been coming from your silicone seal around the top of the bath....

Does the bath have movement in it?

Thanks for the reply tictac.

You are right its 700mm wide and height is 1900mm :(

A tiny bit of movement if you weight down on the edge?

The first couple of lines where the grout had gone black. The tiles moved when pressing and when removing first line of tiles was a hole where the plastboard had completely disentegrated.

I viewed the house back in September so typically the last 5 months they didn't bother to do any remedial work.

So you reckon take it all down?

Thanks

Jay

Take your bath panel off

Have a look and feel of the wall and floor,it will probably be damp/wet...

Your seal around the bath has broken thus water penetration,water will also travel up a wall breaking the bond between the adhesive and tiles also the silicone seal...

The bath at the width won't have any fixing brackets,there will only be 2 fixing brackets along the length of the bath(if fitted)....

IMO take it down and replace with a cement based backerboard...hardie/aquapanel ect...then re tile...

Look into running 2x2 timber along underside of the bath to support it...

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply.

The douche has cleverly grouted the floor tiles onto the bath panel so I'm not sure I'm likely to get it off without breaking it :(

When I say movement it's more flex. Shall I risk takin it off?

Thanks

Jay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back