Thermal damage to LED GU10 bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved in to a new house which has recessed lights in a built in wardrobe that don’t seem to work. I went to replace the bulbs and noticed that one of them seemed to have some sort of thermal damage on the outside. Any ideas what may have caused this? Bit worried about fitting new bulbs if there’s potentially an issue…

Attachments

• 944FD79D-A5D5-4D17-A16F-A7FA0B9D5021.jpeg
    944FD79D-A5D5-4D17-A16F-A7FA0B9D5021.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Looks like some careless oaf laid a soldering iron on it. Have a look at the cables supplying the lamp (in the recess), if there's no visible charring or scorch marks then you're almost certainly fine. Are these 230v or 12v- either way, isolate before sticking yr fingers in :)

It's the divot made me think external heat and the shape of the melt (if it's a downlight I would expect gravity to have pulled the melt downwards)

Sponsored Links
Since a G10 lamp is a 230 V device and you stated they "don't seem to work", I suggest that that which is pictured is evidence of heating from an internal fault in one which as caused it to fail.
Why the others(s) are not working I cannot say.
(I was beaten by two others.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back