thermal imaging inspection firms.........

sorry by the time i wrote my last lenghty reply i got 2 messages already!

firstly,D_Hailsham.... no ihave no chimney breast anywhere in the house as they have all been removed. Aswell as the TRV's i also have a remote control honeywell programmer/thermostat. and a programmer/thermostat on the wall for the downstairs underfloor heating.
all the radiators up stairs are directly under the windows. (2 in my bedroom,as there are two windows). hope this answers your message.

secondly...message to htgeng.... from the reply above u owe me £1 as all the radiators are underneath the windows!. i've never tried this smoke pen theory.

Sponsored Links
As well as the TRV's i also have a remote control honeywell programmer/thermostat. and a programmer/thermostat on the wall for the downstairs underfloor heating.
You have a programmable stat upstairs, yet all the upstairs rads have TRVs. So which rad is the upstairs thermostat controlling?

(Off to the dentist :cry: , so don't expect an immediate reply. ;) )

the wall behind the cupboard is an external wall and i i had a look and just realised that the bathroom towel rad is the only rad that has a thermostatic valve!!!!..... didn't realise that myself until now!

I have double glazed all of my house, sealed floorboard / skirting gaps etc. But I notice that when I run the heating in a miserly mode (low room stat temp, off for some of the day) I feel draughts and cold spots all over the place. As long as I ramp up the heating (costs more but makes the house warm everywhere), I don't feel these draughts.

Curtains help too.

Sponsored Links
belive me Axel because of this damn draughts everywhere we keep the heating on a hell of a lot and my gas bills because of this is astranomical :(

Start with a candle on a plate watch the flame and look in the direction opposite to which way the flame burns start in the hall and test each room with doors closed open etc etc I'm sure youl find it this way eventually let us know how you get on.

oh and try under your window cills inside sometimes tiny gaps there can cause big drafts !!!

At the beginning, I suggested the infra red thermometer which I find very useful for under £30 for dealing with investigating heating problems.

There is another instrument, a bit more expensive though, which is a resistive air flow meter.

It uses the cooling effect of air movement on a thermister. A current is passed through the thermister and that produces heat. The rate at which that is removed by air flow is measured by sampling the voltage across it.

Tony

pappasmurf - did you ever sort your problems out ?

Sorry to bump this old thread. I know its a few years old .

Karl.... no i never did :( but i've got Everest coming round next week thursday (22/11/2012) to fit all new double glazed windows. 3rd time in 15 years!... lets hope they do a good job! just sick of all those muscular pains due to these bloody draughts![/i]

I wouldnt like to bet on it but it could be the 9" solid walls that are cold & causing a down draught as cold air sinks so if after everest has been the problem still exists insulate your external walls, btw I think everest do cavity wall insulation, the fitters probably have access to a thermal imaging camera.

algas... i have "solid" walls... no cavity walls!... so can't have cavity wall insulation!... also i have enquired about whether they have a thermal imaging camera so that i can have a "before" and "after". but they said they don't have one :(
i have considered external wall insulation (Phenolic), but am waiting for this Green Deal scheme to come through from the government, as it costs too much.

Yes I read that you have solid walls, what I meant was that as Everest probably do cavity wall insulation they would have the camera, when I had my cavity wall installation done I was not happy with the work, the company brought round a TI camera to prove who was correct, I was as there were several pockets that were un insulated. I still think your problem lies with cold down draught caused by your 9" un insulated outside walls.

I have to admit I would be looking at wall insulation, external would be nice, but may not fit aethetically, in which case I would be looking at internal.

TI imaging would be nice, but equally, have you thought about airtightness testing?

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back