Thermal or Photo voltaic energy?

Hi,
Has anyone got experience with comparing the energy from Thermal and Photo voltaic panels?

From what I've read thermal panels don't get enough heat to get the most energy from them.
My main quetion is: If instead of having 'say' a 1mtr panel, instead there is a 1mtr magnifiying lens, that concentrates the heat into a smaller panel, so it gets hotter.

I was also wondering if a liquid other than water could be used, with a lower boiling point, where boiling expansion could be converted to energy better?
Cheers, Camerart
It’s more about storage of energy than collection.

Both thermal and PV are effective at collecting energy from the sun.

it’s less about the efficiency of those options and more about how you utilise the energy in your home.

solar thermal can only be used to heat your hot water, the good thing is you can fit a dual coil cylinder which you can use as a thermal store: heat the water during the day, then use it in the evening.

Solar electric can also utilise a hot water cylinder to heat water

most PV installs feed in to the grid as a way to use the unused energy - but a better way these days is to install battery storage.

Sponsored Links
solar thermal can only be used to heat your hot water, the good thing is you can fit a dual coil cylinder which you can use as a thermal store: heat the water during the day, then use it in the evening.

Hi N,
With lens/thermal, I'm talking about hotter than the hot water types.
C.

Deleted.

Shame that the navitron forum has closed as that would have been the place for you.
Maybe the camelot or green building forums

Sponsored Links
Hi N,
With lens/thermal, I'm talking about hotter than the hot water types.
C.
Why?

You don’t collect more energy
higher temperature doesn’t mean more energy.

And the amount of solar energy arriving per square metre is fixed, you can’t extract more energy per area than arrives you can concentrate it

Parabolic troughs can focus it - but you don’t extract more energy.

I’m not sure what your goal is -what are you trying to achieve

Having already read that the output of thermals panels (These produce hot water) is not high

Where did you hear that?
The tip of the copper can reach 200deg c and can heat water to 90 deg c on a sunny day, 60 on a dull day - but domestic systems are configured so flow keeps the temperature within a suitable range.

evacuated tube collectors are the most efficient collectors of solar energy - more so than PV

As a guide the solar energy reaching UK is around 0.5kw per day per square metre per day in Dec and 5.0kw per day in June.

I wanted to know if there is anyone who has got experience of comparing the energy for both of these types of panels.
You are asking the wrong question that's why

Whilst energy is energy, the energy output from a panel needs to be used and converted, so the actual output of dissimilar technology panels is not comparable.

For instance, a 10gW EV panel on the roof wont power a LED light in the toilet, but a 10w PV will.

Many people with no experience of solar thermal or photovoltaic panels write the most about them.
Give us a week an we'll add PV, EV and nuclear fusion to our existing Economics, European Politics, Virology, Eastern European History and Military Strategy expertise. (y)

As a guide the solar energy reaching UK is around 0.5kw per day per square metre per day in Dec and 5.0kw per day in June.

I think you are confusing kW ( rate ) and kWhr ( quantity over a period of time )

producing 0.5 kW for 24 hours would be 12 kWhr ( 12 Units )

Why?

You don’t collect more energy
higher temperature doesn’t mean more energy.

And the amount of solar energy arriving per square metre is fixed, you can’t extract more energy per area than arrives you can concentrate it

Parabolic troughs can focus it - but you don’t extract more energy.

I’m not sure what your goal is -what are you trying to achieve
Hi N,
Same enrgy, but higher temperature, will produce different properties.
Are you understanding the reason for the focusing lens?
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back