thermal properties of plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

what are the thermal properties of the varying types of plasterboard?

Aquapanel, thermal aquapanel, normal plasterboard, foil-backed, polystyrene-backed, etc.

I plan on dry-lining the front part of my (old, solid no-cavity) house - space is not an issue, so I reckon poly-backed would be ok. Would foil-backed be a poorer alternative?

I have a single-leaf brick porch at the front door, which suffers from damp. Space is an issue here. Would foil-backed on battens be ok, or would (given damp environment) aquapanel on battens be better?

Sponsored Links
many thanks Richard C - no mention of foil-backed boards though - are they a space-saving alternative to polystyrene-backed, or something else?

Sponsored Links
many thanks Richard C - no mention of foil-backed boards though - are they a space-saving alternative to polystyrene-backed, or something else?
I haven’t looked at it myself but I’m surprised there isn’t any info; they are primarily for use in areas liable to damp penetration but they should have increased thermal efficiency as well but I don’t know how much. I’ve used them on both single skin walls with high efficiency insulation behind & on the ceilings of a flat roof extension.

sorry for the delay in replying - from what I can discern from the British Gypsum website, foil-faced boards are for increased vapour resistance, but don't appear to be any better than normal boards with regard to thermal properties.

So, they should be fine in the porch as a. it does have some mould (and therefore a smidge of damp), and b. they're thin enough to not take up too much valuable space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back