Thermal shutoff in heater, keeps blowing

What rating ( kW ) is the heater ?

The thermal cut out has to be able to carry the full current of the heater without excessive self heating.

A fault in the heater could mean the current through the thermal cut out is higher than normal and self heating is causing the cut out to partial open its internal switch resulting in arcing and burn out of the device.

Most thermal cut outs are rated at 10 Amps maximum and thus can be used with heaters up to 2 kW.

Some devices are rated at less than 10 Amps and these would self heat when used with a heater that took more than the cut out's rated maximumm current.

Sponsored Links
And the grey stuff?

The grey plate at the very bottom of the image is metal. The terminals definitely weren't touching that, in fact when I switched the heater back on with the replacement component, I hadn't even pushed it back into its seat yet - it was just loose and nowhere near metal parts.

I think either there’s a fault elsewhere (e.g. the control panel) or you’ve reconnected it wrongly.
Please post more photos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back