Thermal Store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i.m going to change my heating system from a primatic cylinder semi-gravity to a torrent thermal store are there any things i should do ant pros and con, advice or opinions would be good.
Thanks Andy.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
He read some web site written by the sellers or makers and then chose it himself.

Without asking for any professional advice.

Probably intends to install it himself too.

Tony

Probably intends to install it himself too.

He might well be intending to install it himself Tony, and that might be the reason he chose a store over other options. He's perfectly entitled to do so, and this is a DIY site after all....

Haha i was waiting for all the experts on here for that response why have i chose a thermal store, why not a combi, that you cant even fill a bath up have have a decent temperature before you have to get out.

The reason i asked is i,ve been in plumbing game for 11 years, bur left behind my first and last direct cylinder back in 2004, i,m not a heating engineer i am compitent enough to fit a system, i was just asking the question to the guys that have fitted systems other than combi,s.

And i also want to fit a wood burning boiler, i,ll get my popcorn out as well.

Thanks Andy.

If you want mains pressurised water then thermal store.
If you are happy with a gravity system then vented cylinder, which is the most common method when a wood burner or other domestic solid fuel appliance is fitted that has a boiler facility.

I have a gravity system. Two of them in fact in my home. It was an experienced plumber who seconded fitting the second one.
At the moment I don't need mains pressure. If I did I'd just fit a plate heat exchanger.
The disadvantage being that it will likely upset the cylinder stratification that works so well currently with the side arm immersion delivering the hot water direct to the top of the cylinder ready for draw off.

Last edited:
Thanks for a sensible answer Roger i do need mains pressure as the house is massive with a very large bath as well which a combi would not fill properly, its the wood burning stove that,s the main reason as it needs to be open vented, thats why i want a thermal store.
Thanks Andy.

If you want mains pressurised water then thermal store.
If you are happy with a gravity system then vented cylinder, which is the most common method when a wood burner or other domestic solid fuel appliance is fitted that has a boiler facility.

I have a gravity system. Two of them in fact in my home. It was an experienced plumber who seconded fitting the second one.
At the moment I don't need mains pressure. If I did I'd just fit a plate heat exchanger.
The disadvantage being that it will likely upset the cylinder stratification that works so well currently with the side arm immersion delivering the hot water direct to the top of the cylinder ready for draw off.

If you want a Sludgebucket fit a Thermal Store!!

Depending on the size of your Wood Stove you maybe OK with a Direct Cylinder??!!

Why do you think stored hot water will give you a better system?? Any HW storeage is only as good as its capacity.

The system i,m looking at is mains pressure hot water open vented, the water in the cylinder is not used for the showers or bath but there to be heated by any other source weather its gas boiler, wood burner, emersion heaters, wood burner is 12KW.

Would a direct cylinder be G3 cert and yearly inspection, i dont want all that hassle if it needs flushing once a year i can manage that.

Thanks for your input Richard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back