Thermocouple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

I have an Ikea hob HGS4K which I believe to be from Whirlpool.

Need a replacement thermocouple but am gobsmacked at the prices for Whirlpool parts. (https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es146424/hob-thermocouple---520mm)

Oven thermocouples appear tobe a better price. Why? But more importantly, will an oven TC fit / work on the hob? Alternatively, are all TC the same so that a different manufacturer will fit?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
It’s also a safety device for the hob, so as per Bernard, fitting an incorrect one could have devastating consequences, and needs to be done by a competent person, one who is able to carry out essential checks afterwards

Do you mean that oven and hob are sufficiently different to be not interchangeable?

Given that it is just the hob, can I assume that any TC listed with Ikea or Whirlpool hob TC is OK?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that oven and hob are sufficiently different to be not interchangeable?

Given that it is just the hob, can I assume that any TC listed with Ikea or Whirlpool hob TC is OK?
If the manufacturer could use the same TC for both oven and hob then they would do so, they don't want to source/stock more parts than necessary.

The job needs the correct TC and it needs to be fitted by a Gas Safe engineer.

How do you know that the thermocouple is defective ?

It may be a fault with the gas valve.

The thermocouple when hot creates a small amount of electrical power.

This electrical power activates a mechanism inside the gas valve.

That mechanism may be faulty.

As mentioned, get a competent GasSafe registered engineer to diagnose the fault and replace the defective item(s)

Agreed the gas valve may be faulty. But this is not the first time it has happened, as as with previous times, I have removed the flame end, cleaned it with a bit of fine wet and dry, cleaned all around the fitting and replaced, and it works first time.

While I have no way of knowing, I believe it is the electrical contact at the burner end that is the problem. May be my wife should not allow the milk to boil over!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back