Thermostat behaviour when target reached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a place with a Danfoss TP5000 programmable thermostat and an Ideal combi. Everything works fine, but I can't figure out the behaviour when the target temp is reached. In order to maintain the temp, the programmer often calls for heat to the boiler for 30 seconds, before stopping calling for heat. Surely in such a small timeframe the raditors can't have provided sufficient heat to raise the room temp to the point of shutting off the thermostat.

How are these new (to me) stats meant to work? In my last house it was a mechanical stat with a separate drayton programmer. When the set temp was reached, the call for CH stopped, then at the point that the temp fell below the set limit and triggered the stat to call for heat, it would do the very same, taking maybe 20 mins or so for it to reach the desired temp again. I appreciate all houses are different and will suffer different losses and re-heat times, but this calling for CH for 30 secs at a time, multiple times per hour seems unusual. Its the programmable stat that's calling for heat rather than the boiler itself short cycling.

Sponsored Links
They work by requesting heat for the shortest time possible to maintain the room temperature. If that requires the boiler to be on for 30s, then that is what will happen.
Over a period of time it will determine the rate of heat rise and fall in the house, and calculate the absolute minimum time of heating that is required to get to a certain temperature.

The result - room temperature is accurately maintained at the desired level, avoiding the wasteful behaviour of old mechanical devices which only switched off after the room got to the setpoint - but by then it was usually too late and excess heat in the radiators causes the temperature to go several degrees over, and then there is an excessive delay until the temperature falls by several degrees, then repeat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back