Thermostat not working on Ideal Independent C30 combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im hoping somebody may be able to help me.

I have just moved into a property and it appears my thermostat does not work.

I can turn the heating on using the boiler, but it stays on until I turnit off.

The thermostat is a cheap looking digital touch screen one. The instruction book describes it simply as M9 Touch screen Thermostat. If I turn the temperature down it clicks, but my boiler carries on pumping out heat to the radiators. I turned the thermostat off (its mains powered) and even when it is turned off, my heating stays on.

Can anyone help me please? If any more information is required I can provide or is something been set up wrong and I will need to get a pro out?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wiring inside my thermostat incase that helps.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 45
If you remove, for example, the grey wire from terminal 4 on your stat (and safely isolate it), does the heating remain on?

Also, this is a stat that can switch a 16A load and has a separate sensor connection; these are often used for controlling electric underfloor heating.
Is it possible that this stat is independent of the boiler?

Are there any other boxes, receivers or controllers dotted around the place, or on the front of the boiler?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I’ve not seen any other thermostats. This is in the hallway so makes sense to be one for the heating. Would be great to have underfloor heating but I don’t think so.
I’ve tried removing all power from the thermostat and the heating stayed on, would removing the grey wire alone have a potentially different outcome?

Thanks for your help.

I’ve tried removing all power from the thermostat and the heating stayed on, would removing the grey wire alone have a potentially different outcome?
If the heating goes off when the grey wire is removed, it could show that the relay has failed closed.

I’ve not seen any other thermostats
You may not have seen other thermostats, but it has been known for people to move out and take their Hive with them. Can you post a pic of your boiler and any boxes around it?

This is my boiler. House was refurbished before we moved in so there wasnt anyone here previously to take any other thermostats. Its only a small flat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 31
Removed wire you suggested and the heating is still on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 21
Ok. You can totally ignore me and you were also right. Just spoken to the person who refurbished it. The thermostat is indeed for underfloor heating in the bathroom. Who knew! He has also told me he forgot to add a thermostat for the radiators. ‍

Last edited:
Ok. You can totally ignore me and you were also right. Just spoken to the person who refurbished it. The thermostat is indeed for underfloor heating in the bathroom. Who knew! He has also told me he forgot to add a thermostat for the radiators. ‍♂️
Brilliant! :D
Glad you got to the bottom of the mystery :)

So the question now instead is. Can I add a thermostat to this system?

Ok. You can totally ignore me and you were also right. Just spoken to the person who refurbished it. The thermostat is indeed for underfloor heating in the bathroom. Who knew! He has also told me he forgot to add a thermostat for the radiators. ‍

Should s/he not be coming back, to install one?

So the question now instead is. Can I add a thermostat to this system?
Yes, and sort of no!
Your boiler has a "Room stat/timer" terminal block, where a connection to a stat can be made.
It's a simple job to remove a loop of wire, and make the connection (with a 4 core and earth temperature resistant flex).

Screenshot_20231025-131205_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Something like a single channel Hive, or a Nest could be connected simply.

The No, Ideal in their wisdom have placed these terminals behind the boiler cover; the cover forms part of the room sealing of the unit - if the cover is removed the boiler needs to be checked for gas safety afterwards, by an RGI.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back