Thermostat retrofit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an old Glowworm Spacesaver 50 Mk2 which at some point has been fitted with a British Gas branded CH/HW controller. However there is no room thermostat in the house, there in an internal boiler stat.

My plan is to replace the BG controller with a wireless receiver/relay and a programmable wireless thermostat. How likely is it to be a simple case of pulling off the controller and wiring the receiver in its place? Do I need to connect to specific thermostat terminals on the boiler or will the control wires do?

Long term we want to have the boiler replaced, but as it's currently venting up the chimney a replacement is going to be quite costly. So the aim is to replace the controls and reuse the new ones with a new boiler.

Sponsored Links
You will probably be able to keep the bg programmer and wire a wireless reciever in sequence (so long as you can get a permenant live)

I normally wire in a wireless programmable stat in, keep your heating on constant on the bg programmer and then you control the times and temps from the thermostat.

Hmm is there any advantage to keeping the BG controller? I was thinking of replacing it with something like this.

Alternatively I might go for a wireless cylinder stat to go with a non-hw wireless room stat, tho that's going to involve some pipework I suspect to get another valve in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back