Thermostat wiring buried - Fixing/ updating Combi-boiler wiring to controller - C11 & Nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Total novice here looking for advice or guidance on fixing and upgrading my home heating solution.

I've recently moved into a new apartment. It was rennovated before I moved in, and multiple walls were demolished & erected along with a total rewire. There was an existing Worcester Greenstar junior 28i combi-boiler which was rigged up to the new wiring. There is no water tank.
The controller that's been installed is a Horstmann Centaurplus c11 controller, and I'm not sure but i believe it existed prior to the rewire.

My main issue is that the hot water works but the heating to the radiators does not. I believe the source of the issue is that the old thermostat was removed and then the wiring was plastered over. I don't believe the wiring on the boiler was updated to relfect that the fact that the thermostat will never trigger the boiler "on".
From the research I have done the appropriate solution would have been to jump the Live Return and Live Stat wiring ports on the boiler itself, so that it was essentially always on.

Anyway, to the solution I'm looking at.

I am considering installing a Nest Thermostat, and removing the existing C11. The wiring on the inside of the C11 controller currently looks like this -

It's diagram looks like this-
2019-11-23-13-52-15.png

The cabling closer to the wall connects to a fused on-off switch. The cabling, connected to N, L, 2 & 4) runs to another junction box. That junction box seems to be a bit of a mess. It seems like it's still connected up to the old wiring. It is behind a switch. The boiler works even if the switch is off. Here's a few pictures of this second junction (below). The wiring from the c11 controller comes in from above.
226023251_145214907744740_189507259939438263_n.jpg

232768662_164647829094493_213804524077639431_n.jpg

227188434_385933852874450_2747794893606476534_n.jpg

225603521_534134161169929_1987906106583190730_n.jpg

It is my hope that I can install the Nest Heatlink without opening my boiler to adjust any of the wiring in there, but I'm writing this post to ask for advice before doing so.

Here's a simplified diagram for the Nest wiring
z6YaLaN.jpg

It suggests jumping from live (L) to common (2), however I'm not sure this is needed.

I believe the way to go is to remove the C11 completely, then wire:

C11 -> Nest
N -> N
L -> L
2 -> 2
4 -> 3

Does this sound like an adequite solution? are there any oversights I mightn't have considered?

Last thing, for what it's worth, I've done sufficient troubleshooting to determine there's no issue with my boiler itself, merely the controls managing it. The 28i Junior has a service button that when helf for 10+ seconds bypasses any thermostat and manually kicks in and heats the radiators for 15 minutes or so.

Also, I've performed a good amount of wiring and home maintenence before, tackling a more than a few DIY projects, so I'm well aware of safety. I'm moreso a novice when it comes to heating specifically.

Thanks very much and let me know if there is anything I haven't covered.

Sponsored Links
Be careful with the 'Jumper'! The boiler is presently wired to 'voltage free' contacts so it could (but not necessarily) have 24v control. Your sketch is for 230V switching by making a link to the L. If it is 230V what you suggest is OK provided that you can be sure that one of the black wires is the switched live direct to the boiler.

The Nest has 'voltage free' contacts the same as the Horstmann, so the two black wires would normally go Nest 2 & 3 without the link to L. However, if.....
the old thermostat was removed and then the wiring was plastered over. I don't believe the wiring on the boiler was updated to reflect that the fact that the thermostat will never trigger the boiler "on".
... then that will still be the case. The wiring would still be open circuit and the heating won't work. So that would still need to be resolved. Can you determine the cable/wires going to the missing thermostat at the 'junction box'?

Also, I believe that your picture is an old version of Nest, do you have an old version? Or is it a diagram that you found on the internet?

Most Nest's have the earth connection terminal is at the side of T1 not T1 itself as per your diagram.

image.jpeg

Personally, if I had just moved in I would be looking to whoever has done the modernisation, or the landlord if it's a rental to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back