Thermostat wiring

Anyone else any ideas about the neon problem?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
not the flea's eyebrow's on elastictrickary, but isnt the lamp a load and therfore nuetral required, poss back feed? :oops:

Hi clf-gas,

That's exactly what I was thinking, and would make sense based on the application note that I've been reading.

Here is the link to the actual instructions can come with that stat.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...STHZOSFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=T6360B#

Interestingly, even though the lamp is mentioned, terminals 5 and 6 which the lamp are connected to, are not shown. However, they 'are' shown on the application note! :rolleyes:

DUMB question, but have you tried the old disconnect 1 nuetral at a time trick, pump boiler programmer :oops:

Sponsored Links
try this, connect no1 on boiler to no1 on stat, no3 on stat to no4 on prog and no1 on programmer to no 2 on boiler, its the same loop as before , but the correct way round , hope this helps

Hi Scaby,

Ok, thanks, I will try that when I get home from work tonight.

Will post on here to let you know if it solved the problem. :)

Hi again,

Just a quick question.

Provided that the loop is completed, does it matter what order the timer and stat are connected, i.e. boiler to stat and then to timer and back to boiler, as opposed to boiler to timer and then to stat and back to boiler again?

Just wondering whether this would make a difference to the neon being lit all the time or not.

Scaby,

I know that you have already suggested a method, but I was just curious as to whether or not it 'actually' matters which way round the stat/timer/boiler are connected provided that the loop is complete between terminals 1 and 2 of boiler.

Anyway any thoughts on this?

Also, does anyone know whether I need to make connections between terminals 2 and 5 and also 3 and 6 on the stat to make the neon work correctly?

Scaby .If you look at manufacturers instructions for both boiler and clock you will see loop connections i have given are the correct way . power out of terminal 1 on boiler to terminal 1 on clock backplate then goes through clock switching and power out on terminal 4 to room stat terminal 1 through room stat out on terminal 3 and back to boiler on terminal two. Clock must be first in line before the room stat

i have just checked the instructions for the boiler and it shows a diagram with roomstat connected first and then clock, and then back to boiler, this is why the neon is lite all the time,

If you look at figure twenty nine in section 8.8 of the baxi 10five.E . Installation instruction book it will show you with the help of arrows power out on terminal 1 and straight to the clock.

And yes agree if room stat was connected first neon would come on . So unless manufacturers instruction book is wrong something is not wired right or room stat is faulty

ok, just had another look,you are looking at the 105e instant, and iam looking at the instructions for the 105e and the wiring is different , on the ordinary 105e (non instant) the boiler no1 is connected to the room stat and then the timer, i dont know why the difference beetween the two but there you are

Hi Folks!

I've solved the problem with the neon being on all the time. I had boiler terminal 1 connected to terminal 3 on the stat, and terminal 1 was then connected to the clock. Therefore, it meant that there was 240V mains to the neon at all times, regardless of whether the switch contacts were closed or not. All I did was swap connections and the whole system is now wired as follows.

Boiler Terminal 1 - Stat terminal 1

Stat terminal 3 - Clock terminal 1

Clock terminal 4 - Boiler terminal 2

Now, the neon only lights when there is a call for heat.

This wiring convention doesn't follow what namsag suggests though, although it is working fine. The only thing is that the neon could light on the stat, even if clock was off, depending on the room temperature, as this is fed first.

Can anyone see any real issue with how I've got it? It would be a pain to change the wiring yet again. As I say, it seems to work fine now.

Thanks for all your help,
Electronman.

Scaby,

I have to agree with namsag actually, in that boiler terminal 1 should go to the clock and the output of the clock should go to the stat, as it does show it this way round in the Baxi 105e service/installation manual. It makes sense this way thinking about it, as it means that the neon on the stat could not illuminate unless the clock was on, regardless of room temperature.

I may in fact change it now that I know which way round it should be wired so that I know it's correct.

I'd be interested to know which manual you say has it the other way round, i.e. stat connect to boiler first, as I have looked at the manuals for both the 105e and 105he and both show the boiler connected to the clock first.

In saying all this, your method would still work ok Scaby, as I have already proved, although there is the possibility of the neon being on even if the clock was off. The heating would still switch on and off ok though.

Electronman.

Scaby i can assure you i am looking at the 10fiveE and not the instant ,on the baxi site the parts arena site and a hard copy i have and they all have the same wiring diagram as i have described under the section i say it is in. Even on the partsarena site the instant has the same wiring diagram . The later model HE`s even have the same diagram . I suggest you look at these sites . because you seem to have duff diagram. Or you thinking the end terminal is number 1 when it is actually number 2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back