Thermostatic shower mixer valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I hope you can assist me with my query, I have a mixer valve which I think is a Hudson Reed and it needs overhauling and my query is:-

1. the slot headed screw fitting on the hot and cold inlet, do they have mesh strainers inside them?
2. If so how do you remove them? As the slot heads are curved and I’ve tried a large screwdriver and mole grips to open them but no success.

help needed, if no strainers then no need to remove, reason! we have high limescale content in our water,

Rgds

Wills
B4C1D968-A7AA-4883-B318-32E9F32D7C44.jpeg 8779702D-D688-44ED-8D80-0F713A0CD04F.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi Sussex,

Thanks for the reply. It looks exactly like your picture except for the handles which are really cosmetic. I presume its a Hudson Reed, would you know which model it is? Any idea on how to remove the non-return valves?

Again much appreciated.

Rgds
Wills

Hi Will,
Suspect you need item 9 thermostatic cartridge. (this has the mesh strainer you mentioned)
Not 100% sure of your make but picture is A3003 family.

Sponsored Links
Hi Sussex,

Thanks again much appreciated, I will remove it and replace it with new cartridge for A3003 and I will keep you posted.

Rgds
Willa

Hi All,

I hope you can assist me with my query, I have a mixer valve which I think is a Hudson Reed and it needs overhauling and my query is:-

1. the slot headed screw fitting on the hot and cold inlet, do they have mesh strainers inside them?
2. If so how do you remove them? As the slot heads are curved and I’ve tried a large screwdriver and mole grips to open them but no success.

help needed, if no strainers then no need to remove, reason! we have high limescale content in our water,

Rgds

Wills
View attachment 199179 View attachment 199180

Hi Wills

Registering and apologies for bumping your thread. You asked exactly the same question that's on my mind. I have the same a3003 older style ultra twin diverter and I've now serviced and replaced the cartridge several times,
and I constantly wonder about those valves which should also be serviceable/replaceable.

I saw the responses were to change the TV thermostatic cartridge but no one mentioned the check valves again.

Did you manage to get the check return valve carriers open? Did you use an adapter? Did they have a return valve or nah inside?

I cannot find any reference to these anywhere on the internet and Ultra group dice changed the design to a hex spanner for instead of an oversized slotted driver.

Thank you
Chris

P.s.
Btw for anyone else reading this and having difficulty removing the cartridge.. each time I forget for a while about that grub screw. It needs to be removed but I keep forgetting because valve body is installed inverted and the screw is not immediately visible. So if when changing cartridge it won't budge check you've removed that. Pack any cavity with plastic bags or something because you don't want to lose the screw goes flying while unscrewing.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back