Thermostatic valve flew across the room = spontaneous flooding

The only insurance you could consider claiming on is your own!

Its been an interesting thread with so many unbelievables!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I wonder if plasterers ever have any insurance!

Difficult to think of a situation where a plaster could kill anyone or burn down his house.

Alexandra Palace was set alight by people doing welding we were told!

I wonder if plasterers ever have any insurance!

Difficult to think of a situation where a plaster could kill anyone or burn down his house.
most trades needs insurance working in other people homes e.g ( if plasterboard fell from ceiling from not screwing to joist properly ) for example .

op , why would the plasterer call in a favour to get plumber if it wasn't his fault . surely he would ring you for you to get it sorted if it wasn't his fault . did you get the bill for the plumbing works ????????

Exactly. Plasterer would have presented plumber's bill if events had been as he described. You need to write to him and set out your reasons for not agreeing with his version of events. And then ask him to make good the damages to your property.
Then if he does not respond, you may want to take him through the courts. Ask the neighbours what they saw. Was there a hosepipe? Did they see a phantom plumber's van? Was it a flying blue phantom van?
Is the aggro worth it?

I have had the odd balls up in my time but I am still on good terms and do work for the people involved.

Where did you get the plasterer from? Recommendation or random?

Sponsored Links
I think you would struggle to prove it if im honest. He seems the sort of person who will try anything to worm out of it.
Most tradesmen make mistakes from time to time, but only the good ones admit to it.

He didn't give us any bill for the plumber, and of course is refusing to even give me the plumber's name. We found him on mybuilder.com with tons and tons of jobs won and good reviews. No idea if this was one screw up amidst a sea of consistently good work, or if the reviews are provided by his mates. I can't find any record of damaging property or scamming people by googling his name. We haven't officially notified him yet that we are accusing him (although I think he knows because I said it was fishy that he won't give us the plumber's contact details), but that's a good idea to do it in a letter. Thanks. Unless of course he's reading this...

AGAS - The plasterer said he couldn't get the valve back on and had to get his plumber friend to come turn the water off to the house. It also took about 2 hours before my husband picked up the phone (and the guy didn't have my number at the time). He's also said a few times that he did this because he felt so badly for us that this happened and he couldn't leave us like this. He's repeatedly told us what a good guy he is.

This is our house now by the way. This was all stripped out because of the water damage leaking from the living room upstairs. No part of this is due to other work. There is a third room and several closets which have water damage too.

Attachments

• 20160530_225807.jpg
    20160530_225807.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 20160530_225858.jpg
    20160530_225858.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 20160530_225936.jpg
    20160530_225936.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
if you truly thinkhe messed up contact your home insurance company and make a claim. if they think they can nail him let them go for it their way. at the end of the day he can deny everything, as there are no witnesses.
mybuilder.com and rated people are sh*t. decent tradesmen dont need to go looking for work, it finds them.

mybuilder.com and rated people are sh*t. decent tradesmen dont need to go looking for work, it finds them.
for all people reading this listen to this , a lot of reviews are not genuine but there are a few exceptions and they are the ones i feel sorry for , doing it right and getting honest reviews and worked hard for it, then the scammers who are passing their incompetence on to customers who are the victims at the end of the day.
He didn't give us any bill for the plumber, and of course is refusing to even give me the plumber's name. We found him on mybuilder.com with tons and tons of jobs won and good reviews. No idea if this was one screw up amidst a sea of consistently good work, or if the reviews are provided by his mates. I can't find any record of damaging property or scamming people by googling his name. We haven't officially notified him yet that we are accusing him (although I think he knows because I said it was fishy that he won't give us the plumber's contact details), but that's a good idea to do it in a letter. Thanks. Unless of course he's reading this...
theres a difference between a tradesman that makes a mistake and admits it and puts it right and theres another tradesman who makes a mistake and bullsh-ts and leaves a devastation for the customer to deal with and pay for , and thats from" mybuildforthecustomer.com" and that comes from " reviews ":LOL: thats a sort of recommendation everyone wants , ye right:(

EDIT before you think of taking it further you need proof ( receipts , emails or texts from plasterer about what happened which could be got if your sneaky enough but still could be done if you want the hassle )

The plasterer I got was from rated people! He had good reviews and did a good job at a reasonable price.

The one job that I did from that site ended in the customer trying to rip me off in a minor way. [ She wanted me to do extra work and add to the cost of the original work which was to be billed to British Gas. I refused! ]

Tony

If you were to make a claim for damages, I think it would be judged on the balance of probabilities, not "beyond reasonable doubt".
Would he stand up in front of a judge and spout a complete load of lies? Would he refuse to name his plumber friend to the judge?
But litigation is expensive (except possibly small claims). So it normally comes down to a letter to him from a solicitor threatening legal action and offering the chance to settle. Do you reckon he could afford to pay your costs? Does he have any insurance?
Does your own insurance offer any legal advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back