Thermostatic valve flew across the room = spontaneous flooding

Is this what you get off on Hudson???....sad state of affairs.

Sponsored Links
I have a theory - plasterer knocked his barrel of water over, and made up a story to cover his arris. Mind you, I have had a bottle of wine, so I might be talking Benollox

come FFS just say it for what it is !!! ITS THE F**KING PLASTERER , WTF on a gravity system , 10ft :ROFLMAO: you would off seen leaks way before that happened & pipe would stop it from flying ( f**king flying pigs comes to mind )anyway the plasterer is trying to cover his actions , you know what your really getting at op . :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Post the plasterer's name here and his future customers can decide whether they believe his story.

Sponsored Links
Apologies if there's feeling that I was misleading in my post - I'm not trying to troll anyone. I wanted the forum's expertise on whether this could happen the way the plasterer said or not, and if the answer was yes it's possible then it would be really awful of me to have accused him of sabotaging my house. I don't want to falsely accuse anyone when there's only circumstantial evidence, and honestly there's still this little bit of doubt in me that he would do this to us.

Anyway, it's really helpful to hear from so many people that it's not possible. I was feeling a bit divided on whether firing him was 'the right thing to do' or not.

Does anyone know of any way to prove that this was caused by a person? If we could prove it then we could make a claim against his liability insurance.

Gaswizard - ignoring for a moment that you called me a troll, what would be the telltale signs on the ceiling? I'm having a blond moment clearly - do you mean the living room ceiling or downstairs? The ceilings below the living room have had to be ripped out. Two bedrooms, half the hallway and several closets. So yes, lots of telltale signs down there. (This was done by the plasterer in order to repair the damage, before we fired him obviously.) The living room ceiling was freshly plastered the day before the leak so it had fairly wet plaster on it. And the house is built into a hill, which is why the living room is on the top floor.

We have advised you that it is a most unlikely thing to have happened as described. To be loose enough to come off at all would have meant that it would have been leaking.

The pressure available at that point in a gravity system would never be enough to cause a TRV to do anything apart from just to push it up and let it drop beside the pipe!

In any real life situation we would assess the personality of the plasterer and come to a conclusion that he was trustworthy or not. On this forum we have no indication at all of what he was like.

You say the water damage was 10 ft away from the pipe. But in most cases with a TRV removed, the water would fountain upwards for no more than 1-2 feet. BUT floorings can vary in their permeability and it could be that it was not allowing much flow by the valve pipe.

As an engineer I am accustomed to making decisions based on limited information. But in this case the lack of detailed information makes that difficult.

What you say he said makes him seem a totally unbelievable chap but I would be reluctant to condemn him on the limited information presented.

Tony

Nobody has stated the obvious, that any normal intelligence person would have immediately tried to refit the TRV and if that failed would have sat beside the pipe with his finger over the end and telephoned for assistance.

Of course he might be of lesser intelligence! You don't need much to do plastering!

The last plasterer I had to do some work would certainly have done the obvious to stem the leak. He was also very good at plastering!

Tony

It sounds to me like he either kicked over his water bucket or was filling it with a hose and forgot to turn it off!

Yep. I am thinking that he had a hose up to that room and he had a balls up.

Precisely. If that valve had been going like a fountain for any length of time then ceilings would be down and the place would be properly trashed. Damage would be centred on te radiator no the middle of the room. Plasterer needs to improve his storytelling skills and invest in a jubilee clip for his hosepipe.

Hudson , telltale sign on ceiling would be an imprint of the TRV when it blew off , hitting the ceiling and landing 10ft away.:ROFLMAO:

Hose is a very likely explanation.

Plaster arrives at 9am, uses hose to fill bucket, turns off hose using fitting on end of it.
Goes out for some reason, hose bursts / end fitting pops off, mains pressure water pours out for an hour or so.
Plasterer returns, makes up some story about the radiator. There is no plumber.

I hadn't considered a hose actually... that seems very likely.

I've just now asked the plasterer for the attending plumber's contact details now, and he's refusing to give me the plumber's contact details on the grounds that the plumber did him a favour and works for another company (what?!), and when I kept asking he got somewhat irate.

So I guess that really answers that then.

You're probably sick of this thread by now, but if anyone has any ideas on how to prove it wasn't a faulty part so we can make a claim on his insurance that would be really appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back