thick bed or ply on concrete ? help

bmx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a hallway to tile i have 55 400x400 porcelain tiles all cut to size, but i have two probs the concrete floor has a bitumen layer of paint on it, and to get the level to meet up with the other rooms i would have a 10mm to 12mm bed of adheasive. i could also do with it setting as soon as possible as its the entrance to the house, oh and its -4 deg outside will that matter?

so my questions are, what should i do?

spend hours chizzle away the bitumen then use what for a thick bed adhesive that will set quick?

5mm ply or some kind of board screwed to the concrete then use what adhesive ?

Sponsored Links
Tiling on to bitumen can be problematic. A typical solid bed cement based adhesive bed is 4-6mm, it can be used up to around 12mm locally but you can’t tile over the whole floor in 10-12mm thickness; it will cost you a fortune, you will never get the tiles level & it will look pants. You can’t tile at -4 deg either, you need a minimum temp or +5 to lay the tiles. A decent Rapidset can be grouted within 3 hours at normal temperature but longer if colder & it will still hold water so if it freezes overnight, you will be in trouble & it may well fail.

For leveling the floor, look at using a self leveling compound but make sure you pick one that will cope with the thickness you require; some will do up to 50mm but many are only good for 3-7mm, or use a decent tile backer board. I would not advise ply, even WBP is not dimensionally stable if exposed to damp & if there is any hint of dampness in the floor, it could curl & there go your tiles. Only use quality trade cement powder adhesive (Rapidset) & use a flexible addy & grout over the SLC or backer boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back