thick paint?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
happy festive season DIYers...

we've got a stairwell that has got loads of scrapes, scratches and dinks in the walls - there not deep (the majority of them are about 0.5 mm in depth) - now is there anything out there i can just paint on to make these less noticeable?? - i don't want to plaster it as that'll just be wasted time and putting lining paper up will be too difficult (you haven't seen the stairs!).

the plan is to try and fill these marks in and then paint over the whole stair well with that textured paint stuff - I reckon that would make these marks alot less noticeable - anyone have any better ideas??

Sponsored Links
You can get a very fine filler,see this to guide you step by step.

Not sure if you should be using "textured paint stuff".Is this the rough feel paint ? if so I wouldn't use it in the stairwell area incase someone fall down knocking on to the walls as it feels like glasspaper.

cheers masona - i'll look out for some of this fine filler stuff

Is this the rough feel paint ?
- yeah that's the stuff you can get different grades of 'sand paper' feel - i doubt it'll be too much of a problem if someone falls down them as they'd prob. crack their head open where part of the stairs ceiling sticks out - if they miss that they'll prob. break a few ribs on the (damp) dog leg wall and if they manage to miss that they are likely to end up smashing any remaining bits on the hard stone floor at the end of their journey - still at least they'll be near the bathroom :LOL:

have a happy crimbo and new year - i intend to - a bit of painting and tidying and that's me finished (well for this year!!!)

Just make sure you've got a first-aid box in the bathroom or turn it into A&E centre :)

Sponsored Links
yeah that's an idea - i'll place it on the dog leg so they can grab it on the way past....... that way when they hit the floor and open it up they can find loads of kitchen roll to wipe the blood up before it stains the floor

the bathroom is already an A&E center (arachnid and earwig)... nah i'm painting a bad picture.... all the spiders ate the earwigs - lol

can you tell i'm bored @ work?? - just killing time until the 'compulsory' mince pies and glass of wine at diner

you could have used your time better by learning to spell, dinner is spelt as i mentioned, diner is where americans go to eat food

Good old Isopon car body filler does a bootiful (burp! too much turkey !!) job in both plaster and woodwork, just make sure it's cleaned well beforehand and on woodwork give it a key by scratching with the edge of a file.

king.module said:
cheers masona - i'll look out for some of this fine filler stuff

For ten quid you can get a tub of pollyfila fine at your local B&Q whack some of this into the cracks, holes, or whatever and it rubs off easily with no sweat using fine sandpaper......leaves a nice finish that you can paint over with your textured paint, some textured paints paint over hairline cracks with no problem. :)

king.module said:
happy festive season DIYers...

we've got a stairwell that has got loads of scrapes, scratches and dinks in the walls - there not deep (the majority of them are about 0.5 mm in depth) - now is there anything out there i can just paint on to make these less noticeable?? - i don't want to plaster it as that'll just be wasted time and putting lining paper up will be too difficult (you haven't seen the stairs!).

the plan is to try and fill these marks in and then paint over the whole stair well with that textured paint stuff - I reckon that would make these marks alot less noticeable - anyone have any better ideas??

You can always buy a pot of premixed Artex. This will have no texture/grains incorporated in the mix.
Use the stuff straight from the pot and caulk the wall, i.e. fill the voids.

Sand back as required with a 1/3rd sheet handsander 240 grit.

You could always use polyfilla or similar, but premixed Artex is more durable and economical.

If you want to go the whole hog, buy a 12 inch taping knife to apply the caulk.

cheers peeps (well apart from breezer as he seemed to be a bit "bah-humbug" - lol).

anyway i ended up going for a fine filler and sanded down those areas it was applied to - it's a great improvement but still not perfect but it'll suffice for a few years :O)

now what do you people know about putting in a new cellar floor - lol

right i'm off to DINER :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back