Thick shelving material where to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a chunky shelving unit under my stairs, it will be wall mounted so I can't over engineer it, where can I get the material I need?

I think I am looking at faced/veneered particle board/woodchip, about the thickness of normal kitchen worksurface, but it needs to be light enough to hang off a wall.

To help visualise:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...uctId=11317&langId=-20&parentCats=10104*10173

Sponsored Links
bit of a contradiction there junior ;) chunky and light
it can be heavy and wall mounted as long as your walls are up to it
if your not used to cutting face board it chips dead easy when cutting i personaly only know of 15 and 18mm but i dont use the stuff much

i personaly i would consider scaffold boards recycled or new they are so full of caricter

whats it going to be used for!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depending upon the thickness of the shelf you could, create a hollow box construction to give your thick but light shelf, oo biscuit a deeper frame on the face of the unit to give the illusion of thicker material. Thats the way it's normally done.

The wall is............dry faced breeze block? I think that's the right description, plaster over breeze block.

it's to be used for shelving to fit under the stairs, rising with the tread of the stair.........Now prepare yourself for the worst diagram to ever grace the diynot website........

l___
l_l_l___
l_l_l_l_l__

The cubby holes will house leather boxes containing CD's and DVD's....

I like the box shelf idea, the reason behind all the grief is I have a very dusty small house and need to make use of all bits of space, and keep stuff dust free.

Sponsored Links
well when you say chunky dont you think the structure will over power the content
structure top and bottom 40mm plus 40mm = 80mm cd in case 130mm to 190mm so the ratio of shelve is BETWEEN 20% and 30% so the structure will over power the contents both in weight and visualy

are you aiming at one layer deep or multiple layers deep for you cds
one layer approx 120mm!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back