Can anyone help me please ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly hi all I am new to this forum and new to the whole DIY bussiness, I am just about to move into my first place and money is tight to say the least, what I want to do is build myself a wardrobe in the bedroom wall to wall, could anyone give me any plans to achieve this, I was also looking at a wardrobe that I saw in IKEA here is the link.

http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...42938&langId=-20&parentCats=10120*10366*13151

I was wondering would the be anyway to make a wardrobe like this myself with wood from my local B & Q, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi Wiggy, just wanted to say welcome and good luck! We're still novices but have learnt an awful lot in the last couple of years, just by doing lots of research and reading lots of books. This forum has also been invaluable with those little questions that you can't find answers to!

I've never built a wardrobe, but in a couple of our DIY books there are 'idiot-proof' plans for things like this - alcove cupboards etc that I'm sure you could adapt - we built a kitchen unit this way. If money is tight, get some books out the library and photocopy them.

Apart from that, there's not much help I can give except take your time. It's much better to spend 3 times as long on something and get it right, then to rush and get frustrated and dispondent - believe me I've done both! It will be a steep learning curve, but you will get there!!! :p

It would be possible to build a wardrobe like the one shown, it is basically lacquered MDF, but it may be a bit much for a first project. You will also have to purchase several tools to make it, the price of which will be the same or more than the cost from Ikea although you will have the tools for future projects.

I've posted some links for wardrobe hardware on one of the other treads today.

Jason

Sponsored Links
if you sit and plan it out you may surprise yourself. as much as i hate the stuff it should be reasonably easy to build from mdf. If you think of it as a series of boxes that are connected together it will simplify the task. You could plan out the sizes and make use of a board cutting service that many lumber yards and the likes of hoimebase have to cut up the sheets to the size you want. Most diy sheds do an assortment of fixings that you can use for this type of thing, so yes its possible, depending on how practical you are.
I have to admit though im with Jason, as with many of these kits you couldnt even buy the materials for the cost of them. I also hate them with a vengence, give me real wood any day!

Thermo :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back