thickness of silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should silicone between top of the shower tray and base of tiles be a thin bead or is more (thicker bead ) better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A properly applied, thin bead is no more or less prone to leakage than a thick bead (and looks a damn sight better).

Aslong as you are filling the gap any excess on the outside is just waste.

Thanks Adam. A thick bead didn't help seal , I'm hopeful on the thin bead, as u say looks a lot better.
If a small amount/drops of water get into the sealant before it cures does it render it useless even though it may look ok?
Thanks

I would leave for a clear 24 hours before getting any water on it i.e using the shower.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam. A thick bead didn't help seal , I'm hopeful on the thin bead, as u say looks a lot better.
If a small amount/drops of water get into the sealant before it cures does it render it useless even though it may look ok?
Thanks
Water under it can prevent adhesion but water cannot get ‘IN’ to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back