Thickness of wallboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off appologies for going down a cealry well trodden path again but I am hoping for some advice on thicknesses of plasterboard to use for a wall. For preference I would like to use 12.5mm, however I have checked and this will leave barely 1mm for a skim around door linings. (if that even, basically the 12.5mm board will be pretty much flush with the linings) I am concerened that this is not sufficient for the plaster skim and am curious whether 9.5 mm boards can be used here. Stud is vertical only 4x2s at 18inch centres. (approx 450mm centres for metric people, but i'm sure you all know that :)) Making gap between boards roughly 14 inches (350mm). Will 9.5mm board be rigid enough here or shoud I use the 12.5mm?

Sponsored Links
If it was me, i'd go for 12.5mm. It doesn't really matter if the plasterboard works out "flush" with the door frame/linings,, as long as it's not proud. Quite often i work on a job where that happens, but the plaster is feathered away to nothing/flush at the frame edges, and by the time the architraves etc are fitted, you'll never know the difference.
9.5mm boards are ok,, ish, but for strength on a stud wall, i'd go for 12.5mm.

Same here. You won't notice a couple of mil of skim around the door frame, the spread should not be horsing on 6- 8 mil of stiff finish there, but keeping it feathered back as he goes.

(Worst case - rebate archtrave with a router.electric plane)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that guys. I am happy with that answer as I have checked out the 9.5mm and it feels a bit too flexible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back