Think paint split on fibreglass boat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm in the process of re painting a fibreglass boat and the paint on the inside is pretty solid apart from a few splits. Its original been painted on think and in parts has formed a layer that sits above the fibreglass. Ie you can tap on areas and there is a very slight between (if that makes sense).

Is there a way that I can deal with these areas rather than peeling all the inside paint off prior to repainting?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Many thanks!

IMG_8271.JPG
IMG_8272.JPG

Sponsored Links
What about cutting it a bit wider and any loose parts then cover over with resin and hardener, then repaint?

Andy

how old is it, and has it been in salt water?

GRP boats tend to delaminate.

What about cutting it a bit wider and any loose parts then cover over with resin and hardener, then repaint?

Andy

Thanks Andy its a good idea, I haven't used resin / hardeners before is there a product that you would recommend? Thanks mate!

Sponsored Links
how old is it, and has it been in salt water?

GRP boats tend to delaminate.

Hi, not 100% sure on the age maybe 5/6 years max? Its had river use as far as I know.. Thanks.

I would have thought that was a gel coat splitting off, not paint.

I have seen GRP boats having the skin "planed" (ground) off and recoated, but IIRC I was told it was due to salt water. You need someone who knows about boats....

I would have thought that was a gel coat splitting off, not paint.

I have seen GRP boats having the skin "planed" (ground) off and recoated, but IIRC I was told it was due to salt water. You need someone who knows about boats....
That sounds like the smooth, shiny outer coat known as a gel-coat.

Thanks very much for the help guys, I actually had a tub of that in the garage Andy so have given it a go and see how it goes. Cheers all

I think that's paint applied to the gel coat without a suitable primer.....I'd use a flap wheel on an angle grinder and shave it back. If the gel coat is detaching then it's had an impact, more than likely.
International paints are the way to go here!
John :)

Thanks guys, I've patched it up with fibre and its done a great job. Will sand off a little and paint today.

IMG_8278.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back