Buffing 2-pack paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've painted a boat (fibreglass) in 2-pack. It's not come out TOO badly (in parts!) but some areas have a fair bit of orange peel. I've got the use of a big industrial buffer, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best sort of compound to use? I guess I'd need something pretty aggressive for the orange peel? Boat was painted in the summer so it's pretty well-cured now, I guess. Also, the paint is (I think) pretty thick - there are about 5 coats on it.

Sponsored Links
you will get quite an aggressive cut with a rotary polisher and rubbing compound so id probably go for the g6 regular grade compound and finish with the g10 finishing compound.

Sponsored Links
If that 2k has been set for some time you'll find it quite hard to flat it down now, it should be done within a few days. Try a dual action sander rather than rotary - the rotary may end up with swirls. You're going to have to wet flat it, starting at something like 500 grit all the way to 2000 or even 3000. Then some farecla G3/G6

Nozzle

Oh joy...!

I think I might be better trying to convince myself I can live with it!!!

No harm in passing over it with the rotary though, sometimes using the wet and dry can introduce scratches too which can be hard to remove.

Out of interest, where did you get your paint from, where (what type on environment) did you spray it and what were the weather conditions? I did a spray job some time back on my car but didn't want to stump up the extra cash for an airfed mask and filter (and a larger compressor to power it) so I ended up avoiding 2k... but what I ended up with is nothing like as robust as the original 2k.

Nozzle

It was Epifanes 2-pack polyurethane boat paint. I'd had it a few years to be honest. I think I got it from boatpaint.co.uk but can't remember it was so long ago! Originally, I was going to apply by brush or roller but I had a go on a scrap bit and it looked really rough, so I decided to spray in the end.

I used one of these Gerson 2K respirators:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gerson-2K..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2586d2bdfb

I also read up about it (the HSE website has a fair bit on it) and I'm not at all sure that eBay seller should be advertising them as such, but I know that some of these mobile painters do use them for SMART repairs. In my case, the boat was out of doors and it was relatively easy for me to stand upwind of the main overspray. Using a gravity-fed HVLP gun helped a lot. There was MUCH less overspray than with a conventional suction-fed gun.

I have to say that I wouldn't recommend it, but I felt no ill effects afterwards. I certainly wrapped-up well to minimise skin exposure though, and I don't plan on ever doing it again!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sorry. Weather was warm and dry. I painted as early as I could in the morning, after the dew had gone and the boat surface temperature was about 12-13 degrees. I did it over two days but since then, I've been told that if you leave the paint to flash-off, it won't run if you put the next coat on while the previous one is tacky. After lunch the temperature got into the mid 20s and there was no risk of any dew forming until after about 21.00 at night (by which time the paint was touch dry). My first coat went on like glass - I was really pleased. I then did the other side and by the time I came back to the first side - horror of horrors! It was COVERED in runs! I flatted the runs out the next day and then put the rest of the paint on the day after, but chickened-out of putting it on as thick so I've not got a fair bit of "dusty" orange peel instead! Wind was very light. Ended up with a few dozen bugs in the paint. apparently the trick is to wait until the paint has set, then you only get their footprints in it!

if there is enough material on it DA with softpad and 1500 discs then buzz over with a wet 3000 will save you alot of time, thats the way we used to do it on cars the last place i worked, guy i worked for liked everything totally flat no orange peel at all

just watched that video above lol and thats the way im talking about!!

Ta. Yes, there "probably" is enough paint to allow for that, but it's going to be a hell of a job! (Not least because I have no sander like that). Also because there's a fairly big surface area and there's an awkward moulded rubbing strake along each side (which would need to be done by hand).

I've actually tried the buffer (as I've got it anyway) and it's not too bad. Still orange peel, but shinier orange peel than it was before!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back