Thinking of building a garden office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't afford a 10K build and was thinking of building a single story SIPS structure about 5m x 2.5M using Kingspan TEK panels or similar thinking I can cut them to size myself and cut out spaces for windows etc.

Few questions:

The site is next to a retaining wall (about 4' high) in a tiered garden (sloping down a hill). Would I need some special SIPS panels to put next to this wall (foundation grade)? Or could I just put cladding on normal SIPS panels before putting them in place - I could leave a couple of inches between the wall and the side of the office.

What sort of foundation would I need for such a structure? Access is limited - nearest road is about 12m away although I suppose a concrete truck with a pipe could pump it there I haven't seen this offered as a service when I've checked out concrete delivery companies. Could it be something simpler like on stilts with concrete footings or even just a level gravel surface?

Sponsored Links
It could be anything your budget will allow it to be. For instance, you could build a shed on a concrete slab but it will be neither dry nor habitable. Or you could build something that will be habitable but your money may run out before you have even completed half the structure.

I personally would opt for strip footings and a foundation wall that was the same footprint as the office walls so as to avoid the usual water ingress at slab level - as always happens with slab toe projection.

Thanks.
I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. Could someone move it to the building forum?

Sponsored Links
The mods don't read the threads they're a bit thick you see. What you have to do is report the thread using the report tab. Anyone can report a thread but I've done it more times than I care to remember and I can't be arsed today. Ironically it would have taken considerably less time than its taken to post this drivel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back