thinking of emmigrating to america?

darksquid said:
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and this post caught my eye. I'm an American who has made the journey the other direction, and am now living in the UK.

There's a brilliant forum for Brits thinking about immigrating/in the process of immigrating to the States (and elsewhere):

http://britishexpats.com/forum/

I do have to say...$18,000 is NOT alot of money (think 9,000 pounds), especially for California. I was making $24,000 at my last job in the States in North Carolina and I was struggling. I find that I have alot more expendable income here in the UK than I ever did in the States. Plus, there's no GWB to deal with here!

If I haven't talked you out of it, try looking at that forum. They're really helpful with the legal/immigration stuff. The process is mind-numbingly complicated. Good luck!

Anyways, funny that my first post on a DIY site is about immigration, but there you go. :)

-kate

He did say Monthly $18k ........ Which in any language is DoshAmyalitus at $1.81 to GBP £9,945 or £119,337 per annum
$24k per annum is small change indeed UK average is £25k ... Although I am sure the 'modal' or most common (frequent) value is much less ( a far better measure for a 'feel' of how people are doing IMHO)
--------------------------------##-----------------------------
OHMY !! Do it --- On such a salary you cannot go wrong ... Do not sell your house here !! Eggs, baskets and bridges ablaze come to mind !
A friend has been somewhere in USA flogging his doctorate for 4 yrs now, getting £1200 pm rental for house here ....

Sounds like a great opportunity .. unless it is as a hitman or getaway driver .. you'd probably love the latter anyway ;)

:D :D

Sponsored Links
Well, daaaaaamn, $18000 a MONTH? Hm, I must have missed that!

GO!! GO THE THE STATES AND EARN A FORTUNE!

Do you need an assistant? ;)

-kate

darksquid said:
W.........GO!! GO THE THE STATES AND EARN A FORTUNE!
Do you need an assistant? ;)

-kate

..... A second offer ! Can you refuse ? ... Better buy a lottery ticket, you are surely on a roll old son ;) ;)

Blimey, this could be Corination Street Katie ..... on the prowl :mad:

No doubt that $18K a month will afford you a great standard of living out there.

Just a few thoughts:

1) Income tax: any idea how much that is going to be?
2) Remember that you get less for your tax dollars. The nhs is a bag of sh*te, but out there you are pretty much obliged to buy medical AND dental insurance unless you want to pay a few months salary upfront if you break something (a mate of mine broke his own nose in the US, paid something on the order of a few K to get it patched up)
3) Unfortunately you would have to put up with all-year-round sunshine, bikini-clad babes, hotrods, lowriders, kustoms, movie stars, and wine.
4) The beer's cr*p.
5) In my experience, "Hallo, I'm English" is a VERY good opening line in the US. Seriously. Especially if you have nice teeth (many really do believe that bo**ocks about Britons having nasty teeth!). :LOL:
6) From a friend of my dad's experience, "Hallo, I'm English" is a VERY good way to get let off a speeding ticket. Well, only when you are a tourist. :LOL:
7) Steak.

All in all, go for it!

Sponsored Links
Guess what ? If we lose the NHS here .. private would soon cost more than that quote !!
You know us Brits 'Stack it low sell it dear' ... having a rippping time old bean.

BTW - Full year's medico insurance for 2/3 of one month's $18k gross, Isn't that relatively cheap, being 5.55% of Gross annum ?

;)

A mate of mine was offered a job in the States a while back. He was going to move lock, stock and barrel. However, he found great difficulty in getting the company to sponsor him for his green card even though they had assured him this would not be a problem. In the end it didn't work out and he came back.

Your situation sounds too good to be true but if you don't go you'll never know. I definitely wouldn't burn all my bridges though, if it doesn't work out you'll need something to come back to.

There is no labour shortage in the States and as this doesn't sound like a job with a specific skill set requirement (definitely no disrespect intended!) I don't know how you'd get a card. You could of course always marry some one over there. :D

Can I ask how did you get to hear about this job?

Are they having problem employing their own people over there?

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
Got a quick quote off the web for FULL MEDICAL insurance,BUPA i think.How about $12,000 per annum :confused:
Does this cover the whole of your family, if so that's cheap!

As you own your business, I can't see how you can lose providing you keep your house in the UK incase of bad luck, if you don't go you will always be wondering but I will say a green card is not easy from what I've heard.

Sponsored Links
Back