Those poor care homes struggling with ppe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
84% of Care homes in the U.K. are privately owned, charging anywhere from £700 - £2000 per week.
Yet the media would have you believe that it is the governments fault that they do not have adequate PPE.

I watched one of our close family friends with dementia have all his savings leeched away they were paying 1000 a week they should be more than equipped the scammers. :mad:

Sponsored Links
I think both points are valid. Its not the carers risking their lives that need to get this sorted, its their employers. But before casting a wagging finger, I'd want to know if they can purchase it through reasonable channels.

Sponsored Links
I watched one of our close family friends with dementia have all his savings leeched away they were paying 1000 a week they should be more than equipped the scammers. :mad:
My mother is a bit of a hypochondriac. Well, more than a bit of one. She’s been like this for over 20 years with a mysterious pain that travels around her body. Don’t ask! She’s had countless scans and xrays etc. Anyway, she wanted a private scan and our local hospital, Queens at Romford, has a private wing. It’s called 'Harley street at Queen's'. Anyway, she went there and they couldn’t do it for 5 days. My mum loves a stay in hospital (!) and asked whether she could stay there until she could be scanned. They agreed to that and charged her just over £1,000 per night! I remember at the time I looked it up and she could have stayed at the Ritz in London for just £6 more per night. Mind you, she said she had her own room, the nurses were friendly, the food was fantastic and she had a good WiFi signal. :rolleyes:

If simple washing kills the virus, I don't understand why PPE cannot be reused after being washed - providing the PPE is suitable for being washed.

My mother is a bit of a hypochondriac. Well, more than a bit of one. She’s been like this for over 20 years with a mysterious pain that travels around her body. Don’t ask! She’s had countless scans and xrays etc. Anyway, she wanted a private scan and our local hospital, Queens at Romford, has a private wing. It’s called 'Harley street at Queen's'. Anyway, she went there and they couldn’t do it for 5 days. My mum loves a stay in hospital (!) and asked whether she could stay there until she could be scanned. They agreed to that and charged her just over £1,000 per night! I remember at the time I looked it up and she could have stayed at the Ritz in London for just £6 more per night. Mind you, she said she had her own room, the nurses were friendly, the food was fantastic and she had a good WiFi signal. :rolleyes:
How much! I'd expect at the very least a morning and evening hand job for that and medical grade cocaine if needed.

If simple washing kills the virus, I don't understand why PPE cannot be reused after being washed - providing the PPE is suitable for being washed.

Cross infection. What hospitals are supposed to do is use single use equipment per patient to reduce chances of cross infection. In Belgium the Ambulance picks up a patient drops them off at the Hospital then goes to a decontamination area where they wipe down each ambulance and change equipment.

Sure if you have enough washable PPE equipment - they don't even have that. So where will they take this equipment to wash?

You might think that changing PPE per patient is a waste of money - infecting someone and then dealing with their symptoms costs a lot more.

But before casting a wagging finger, I'd want to know if they can purchase it through reasonable channels.
There is a 'pecking order' of supply.
Quite rightly hospital staff are at the top, but as you go down the list it gets harder.
I have a friend working for a 'supported living' organisation, which is right at the bottom.
They have about a weeks supply left and procurement is nigh on impossible.

Hmm not sure of that some of my family work in care homes, they were awash with PPE to the extent they were giving the excess out to district nurses.

Hmm not sure of that some of my family work in care homes, they were awash with PPE to the extent they were giving the excess out to district nurses.
It also varies as to the size of the overall organisation.
(joint buying power helps unsurprisingly)
Funnily enough the 'supported living' sector has been trying to get recognised as a 'key worker' area for ages but with no joy.
Suddenly they now have that 'official' status!

Sure if you have enough washable PPE equipment - they don't even have that. So where will they take this equipment to wash?

My understanding is that soap and water kills it instantly, bursts the virus's 'bubble', even at hand wash temperature. So why not just pop the PPE in a normal domestic washing machine?

My sister in law works at a care home looking after adults with learning problems .
She was told to provide her own Ppe while working up to 15 hour shifts on minimum wage .No breaks ( which I believe is illegal).
Some are just in it for the money .

My sister in law works at a care home looking after adults with learning problems .
She was told to provide her own Ppe while working up to 15 hour shifts on minimum wage .No breaks ( which I believe is illegal).
Some are just in it for the money .

That's unfortunate to hear. If she is employed by them don't they have a duty to care to provide adequate equipment. The problem is PHE keeps on watering down minimum requirements - an apron is good enough. Shameful really.

Sponsored Links
Back