Third party certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anybody out there who would be willing to certify a new consumer unit I am wanting to install in one of my rental properties in Nottinghamshire?
I consider myself competent, and I have City & Guilds qualifications in electrics (Part P (2393), 18th edition Regs (2382), and Inspection & Testing (2391-52)) and I have installed consumer units before, all of which were certified.
I cant find anyone to certify work anymore. I've contacted the nearest electricians who are listed on NAPITs TPC scheme. I've contacted the 2 local LABCs, and also some local private building control companies. No one wants to certify electrical work.
I don't do enough electrical work to justify the cost of joining a trade body.
I'm all in favour of promoting high standards in the electrical industry, and stopping DIYers who aren't competent.
If there is anyone out there happy to certify my work, please contact me. I'm happy to pay for this service.

Sponsored Links
Is there anybody out there who would be willing to certify a new consumer unit I am wanting to install in one of my rental properties in Nottinghamshire?
I consider myself competent, and I have City & Guilds qualifications in electrics (Part P (2393), 18th edition Regs (2382), and Inspection & Testing (2391-52)) and I have installed consumer units before, all of which were certified. .... I cant find anyone to certify work anymore. I've contacted the nearest electricians who are listed on NAPITs TPC scheme. I've contacted the 2 local LABCs, and also some local private building control companies. No one wants to certify electrical work.
I don't do enough electrical work to justify the cost of joining a trade body. .... I'm all in favour of promoting high standards in the electrical industry, and stopping DIYers who aren't competent. ...If there is anyone out there happy to certify my work, please contact me. I'm happy to pay for this service.
How much are you 'happy to pay'? Probably the simplest (but most costly) approach would be for to to notify the work to your local LABC, pay their fee and then do the work - although, if you don't have it, you might also have to hire the kit necessary for the 'testing'.

Kind Regards, John

The LABC advised using a qualified electrician, and quoted their fee of £500 +vat for a building control application , plus the fee for an electrician to inspect the work.

Sponsored Links
The LABC advised using a qualified electrician, and quoted their fee of £500 +vat for a building control application , plus the fee for an electrician to inspect the work.
There's a lot of variation between LA's as regards the magnitude of notification fees, but that sounds like one of the highest.

What qualifications did they say would be required of "the electrician to inspect the work" - more qualifications than you have?

Kind Regards, John

They just said a qualified electrician would do the inspection. Presumably someone who is a member of one of the trade bodies.

They just said a qualified electrician would do the inspection. Presumably someone who is a member of one of the trade bodies.
Someone needs to explain to them that "qualified" and "member of a trade body" are two totally different things, and that the only real thing the trade body does in addition to looking at the 'actual qualifications' is to collect subscriptions from members!

Kind Regards, John

In Wales where I live it is £100 plus vat. And third party is not permitted. That is England only, and the scheme providers do not like the idea.

Unless an electrician is testing other people's work on a regular basis it Is not worth him paying the extra, could try asking the scheme providers.

It seems the English government wanted to allow third party registering of work, but the scheme providers and the electricians were not keen on the idea, it has the same rules as with the LABC inspection, in that they need to be involved throughout the process, not just when completed saying can you sign this off, I think it was used to start with when Plumbers and Electricians worked for the same firm, so the electrician could inspect and sign off the Plumbers work, but not really anyone's work outside of the firm.

I know when it was first allowed, around Chester there were problems, as after signing off they would find the home was within Wales, where this is not allowed.

I seem to remember it was published who could do this third party signing, as seem to remember seeing a firm in Rhyl on the list, which seemed strange as that is well within Wales.

Last edited:
If your genuinely competent and can do it safely then who's going to know it wasn't done by a registered electrician?

As a rental an eicr will be due at some point which will check it over anyway and if a letting agent requires paperwork then again commissioning and supplying an adequate eicr to them should be sufficient.

If your genuinely competent and can do it safely then who's going to know it wasn't done by a registered electrician?
That's essentially true of any notifiable work which is done without notification - so I imagine it's a case of the OP just wanting to "remain on the right side of the law"?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back