THIRD TEST -a bad decision?

I

ImayKnow

England have retained The Ashes with the help of the weather in the third test at Old Trafford.

We were outplayed in this test and should now be only 2-1 up in the series.

Did the Aussies make a bad decision when they won the toss?

All things being equal, had they put England into bat first, then they would have had a lead of about 150 after the first innings, meaning England would have been batting their second innings on Sunday morning, and could have been bowled out giving the a better chance of beating us.

Bad call Aussies, particularly as rain was forecast for the final day, even before the match started!!

Sponsored Links
Somebody doesn't understand the vagaries of test cricket...

p*ss off to 20/20 if you want a cheap thrill !

England have retained The Ashes with the help of the weather in the third test at Old Trafford.
Yup.

We were outplayed in this test and should now be only 2-1 up in the series.
But we're 2-0 up which is better but let's still have a moan.

Did the Aussies make a bad decision when they won the toss?
No one knows but they scored 527 so presumably not..

All things being equal,
But they're not.

had they put England into bat first,
But they didn't.
England may have scored 527 and bowled out Australia for 128.

then they would have had a lead of about 150 after the first innings,
They had a lead of 159.

meaning England would have been batting their second innings on Sunday morning,
But they weren't.

and could have been bowled out giving the a better chance of beating us.
But they weren't.

Bad call Aussies, particularly as rain was forecast for the final day, even before the match started!!
Wasn't it forecast for other days as well?

If Camelot had picked different numbers I would be a millionaire.
But they didn't.

Sponsored Links
Lewis Hamilton would be 4 time world champion by now if he'd been driving a red bull for the last 3 years - but he wasn't so he isn't ;)

Although this is good news for England, I can't help but feel sorry for the Aussies. They've played so well this time, they deserve to win this match.

Cricket, after all, is supposed to be a gentleman's game.

Although this is good news for England, I can't help but feel sorry for the Aussies. They've played so well this time, they deserve to win this match.

They were out playing england in the 3rd test yes but were out played themselves in the 1st and 2nd

So it seems we all agree - the Aussies made the wrong call !

They were out playing england in the 3rd test yes but were out played themselves in the 1st and 2nd

I agree, so it should be 2 - 1 to us.

Well, I think it should be 3-0 because Ian Bell is still in.
willy_nilly.gif

So here's what could have happened:

Old Trafford Manchester, Austraila win the toss and put England in to bat.

1st innings England score 368 all out.

1st innings Australia amass 527 for 7 and declare and have a 159 run lead over England.

There are still just under 2 days play left, and the forecast is for rain on much of the final day, so the Aussies would have had to bowl England out on the 4th day to stand a realistic chance of winning the test.... But they blew that chance by deciding to bat first. BAD CHOICE Mr AUSSIE CAPTAIN it cost you the Ashes!

I agree, so it should be 2 - 1 to us.

But why, the aussies didn't win - the game was called off so no one knows what would of happened and who would of won, the fact that a called of game becomes a draw is down to the rule makers so technically its 2.5 - 0.5

Sponsored Links
Back