This hole in the wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody advise?

This hole in the wall underneath windowsill has appeared after rubbing away at a bitof damp. Looking at the plaster, can anyone tell me whether it contains asbestos? Quite a big hole to have in our bedroom. Would be great to hear from the forum's wisdom.

Cheers everyone
Berry

Sponsored Links
I didn't until I saw on here that some walls have asbestos. I thought somebody might be able to give some advice on my hole in the wall. I know nobody can say for certain but a fair minded view would be helpful.

Well, it looks like plaster skim (a thin one) over brickwork. An expert will be along in a minute.

When you say this hole "appeared after rubbing away a bit of damp", how hard did you rub?! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Paranoid OP is paranoid, lol.

Just looks like bonding and skim finish to me.
I have the same 'look' in my bedroom at the moment, which i'm about to fill with one coat.

Ah yes - I see it is a skim over some thicker plaster...

Y'see - I knew an expert would be along in a minute!

When/where/why did walls contain asbestos?

Thanks for all your reply. You can tell I'm not an expert. People will says 'she's paranoid'. Maybe they are right but lots of links on asbestos say it is in walls. But you say thicker plaster? Could the thicker plaster include asbestos. Thanks again for all your time. Which one is the expert btw?

Bel

Him, not me!

But, unless you create plaster dust by rubbing it down and inhaling the dust, and then only if its the dangerous form, then you won't have a problem even if your wall DOES contain asbestos.

Surely if it is, it'll be coming into the room from that hole every time I walk past or slam a door by accident

Moving out in a month. Seems silly to put effort in if its just a wall.

Can people just tell me what they think? I'm a 22 year old woman with no idea about this stuff.

Not buyers, rented. I'm more worried about now and the last two months. Anybody know?

Bel

It's not asbestos. However, you will have some in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back