1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

This hole in the wall...

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Shakesberry45, 4 Mar 2013.

1. RigidRaider

RigidRaider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'll tell you what.... give me £250 and I will nip round you your house, wave a strange looking sensor thingy around, check a dial, look something up, make a phone call to my technical guy then sign a piece of paper certifying that you don't have asbestos. Will that make you happier?

2. dcdec

dcdec

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think this thread needs closing it doesn't matter what we say she has convinced herself there is asbestos in the wall.
    By the way shakesberry don't go to New York anytime soon and i hope you havn't been in the last ten years or so

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. WabbitPoo

WabbitPoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Assuming Joe90 WAS being sarcastic, I would like to recommend he be banned for that comment.

4. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Better men than you have tried to ban me. :mrgreen:

5. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I suspect that you think that I was saying that the pink bit was wood.

I was referring to the google images for "asbestos plaster" showing lath and plaster. I did go on to explain that your walls were brick and plaster and NOT lath and plaster.

it might be prudent to read the whole sentences rather than searching for keywords and filling in the gaps.

Additionally when someone posts a mischievous reply look at the following replies.

6. Shakesberry45

Shakesberry45

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So there is somebody on here deliberately trying to scare me?? I'm sorry, that's the absolute pits. Feel distraught.

7. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Look. We've all told you that there is NO ASBESTOS in your wall. Forget it.

However, the new place (even brand new) will have asbestos in it as it is out there on the street from the old brake pads. Forget about it. You are NOT AT RISK.

8. WabbitPoo

WabbitPoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, it was a stupid thing to do, but I am afraid there are lots of idiots on here as there are in real life.

That said,

you do seem to be a bit of a drama queen. Take the advice and move on. Jeesh.

9. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This thread is becoming very tedious.

I really don't see the point in asking for advice, then being told not to worry and deciding to focus on the sole (flippant) answer that re-affirms your concerns.

I appreciate that you were worried but grow up and move on. At such a time come back and ask for advice as and when you need it. Many of us here are professionals that wish to help novices. We do not expect anything in return, however when we see someone completely disregarding the consensus of advice it provides little incentive for us to give up our time to help others.

Personally, I have gained invaluable information from "free to use" advice forums such as diynot and thus wish to reciprocate but when faced with these kind of circular conversations I wonder why I bother.

I do sincerely apologise if it sounds like I am maligning or belittling you. I can however see no other way of stating my case.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. dcdec

dcdec

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well said Opps.

11. Shakesberry45

Shakesberry45

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did t mean to sound ungrateful and appreciate what you all do. I just do not know what the pink hard bit is.

12. kjacko

kjacko

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's bonding.
    It can vary in colour from pinky-browny-off whitish colours.

13. Shakesberry45

Shakesberry45

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you so much. I thought it was too 'board' like to be bonding or plaster. This made me suspicious.

I'm sorry for upsetting anybody here. I'm just a novice, and yes a worried novice. You look at the internet sometimes and it scares you. It seems even people on here didn't know there was asbestos in walls. Isn't it in some stud walls? And then board like.

14. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It doesn't matter if it isn't disturbed. Forget about it and worry about all the traffic fumes - they are the ones killing you.

15. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    don't forget all those free radicals leeching out of all the plastic items in our homes, the radioactive materials in the fire alarms, etc