This house is draining the life out of me (damp)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice please, we have a bungalow with an extension on the back which is the kitchen, it seems the person who had it before us and the last owners was a bit of a cowboy and we have sorted most problems as we have gone along. I have started to strip the old smelly kitchen out and have got to the small pier where the original external wall was, there was damp coming up the wall on the old exterior and the inside, after stripping the skirting and plaster off it shows the original dpc and a dpm under the concrete floor, it looks as though the concrete floor was laid to within a few mm of the dpc but possibly breached it, I'm wondering the best way to deal with this, also the the face of the piers are not straight so i have to remove them but as of yet am not sur what's behind but that's for another question.
I will try and add as many images as I can, I m thinking remove an inch of concrete from the edge of the brick wall below the dpc and fill with bitumen or something, and tank the wall maybe?. Also the gap between the inner and outer course of bricks when I remove the tiled floor what would you use to cover that, a dpc over both then concrete or wood?, or cavity closer up the walls and across the floor between the wood floor and concrete.
I would very much appreciate any advice as I must do as much as I can myself.
Thank You
Mark

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back