This is what a professional landscaping company did who put up this fence.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So next door is getting a garden makeover which involves levelling their garden by removing earth. They now have a perfectly flat garden but on my side this is what I have. Job not finished yet but their back garden fence now offers them no privacy as one end only comes up to my shoulders. For me this is my front garden so privacy is not an issue.

So what should I be saying regarding the soil level on my side?

Note the height difference between the next-door property who has the same size panels.
UpfHJfp.jpg

If the intention is to level the soil on my side it will be 18 inches above the panel.
1nCvPIu.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Certainly needs pointing out as before backfilling as the fence will soon be pushed out/ rotted.perhaps a row of bushes to make a hedge?

Larger gravel board and cut panel down. Soil up against gravel board..

Yeah, I have double concrete gravel boards where there is a drop. You don't really want that trench, could cause problems in future with small kids, balls constantly ending up down there etc. (although you say front garden - sounds like a place for rubbish to accumulate!)

That is your land they have lowered too.

Sponsored Links
I don't see why they had to cut back so far to put the fence up. They've nicked some of your land and left a trench with an incline that'll accumulate all kinds o' crud, with plenty of run-off for rain to soak into their flat garden. Hope they've got good drainage, they'll need it.

They have saved a bit of money by having a lower panel and single gravel board. Simple solution would have been to have spoken to you about it and explained what they proposed, and you could have suggested double height gravel board, that would have taken the fence up in height as well, just needing longer posts. Typically selfish neighbour's behaviour i think.

Blup

The neighbours was expecting a stepped fence with double gravel boards for my corner. I get the feeling they should have asked a few more questions. They will tackle the landscapers tomorrow when they return but from my side when standing back it looks like the fence is sinking into the ground. That is probably because it is.

An extra deep gravel board held in by steel stakes against the back of the fence will retain your soil, otherwise as it’s your land you can build the soil back up in that gap

Blup

Update. The home owner has had a moan so an extra gravel board has been added to the 2 offending panels. I hope the landscapers intend to backfill my flowerbed before they finish.

VfZ0P39.jpg

2CrmfV4.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back